Coccidia In Wooden Brooder

Holew-L

Chirping
Mar 13, 2018
Wisconsin
Im currently battling coccidia in my wooden chicken brooder. Do I need to destroy the wooden brooder and switch to something and of plastic or metal? I cannot find anything saying coccidia lives in wood but I also can't find anything saying that it dosent. Thanks in advance

Im currently battling coccidia in my wooden chicken brooder. Do I need to destroy the wooden brooder and switch to something and of plastic or metal? I cannot find anything saying coccidia lives in wood but I also can't find anything saying that it dosent. Thanks in advance
Can you post some photos of the chicks, brooder and of their poop?
What are the symptoms and what are you treating the chicks with?
How old are the chicks?

Coccidia are naturally found in their poop and in soil. Moisture and warmth (heat) like a brooder can cause Coccidia to flourish. When chicks eat poop (yes they do that!) or drink from a water station that has poop in it (yes, they poop in water stations too!) there can be an overload.

I don't think I would destroy the brooder. Line it with puppy pads which makes for easy cleanup or use bedding like pine shavings. Keep your brooder dry and clean up water spills and excess poop.

Back
Top Bottom