Coccidia? Or Rye neck? Or? See pic

Update: she's doing really good. Up and about. No longer puffy. The quarentined group is on day 3 of Albon. I've also given them Probiotics and Poultry Cell. No idea what the episode was all about, but believe me, I'm keeping an eye on her and the rest of my flock for similar behavior. Maybe it was a reaction to Baycox/Endocox I tried last week (?). I'll not be using it on that hen going forward just in case.

Question: her original breeder has a rooster she retained the same age, same genetics, and he mysteriously got rye neck a few months ago. The breeder thought it was because she had run out of chick starter, it corrected itself with chick starter and vitamins. Connection? 🤔

THANK YOU for your advice here! I appreciate it

Last edited:
Update: she's doing really good. Up and about. No longer puffy. The quarentined group is on day 3 of Albon. I've also given them Probiotics and Poultry Cell. No idea what the episode was all about, but believe me, I'm keeping an eye on her and the rest of my flock for similar behavior. Maybe it was a reaction to Baycox/Endocox I tried last week (?). I'll not be using it on that hen going forward just in case.

Question: her original breeder has a rooster she retained the same age, same genetics, and he mysteriously got rye neck a few months ago. The breeder thought it was because she had run out of chick starter, it corrected itself with chick starter and vitamins. Connection? 🤔

THANK YOU for your advice here! I appreciate it
Not sure of the connection there.
If from same hatch/genetics, then I would be concerned genetic defect or disease like Marek's.
Possible nutritional deficiency, but running out of chick starter for a few days and feeding another type of poultry feed shouldn't cause deficiency. Or at least I've never witnessed it in my flocks.

Not sure of the connection there.
If from same hatch/genetics, then I would be concerned genetic defect or disease like Marek's.
Possible nutritional deficiency, but running out of chick starter for a few days and feeding another type of poultry feed shouldn't cause deficiency. Or at least I've never witnessed it in my flocks.
Yah. I thought that too. I agree. 👍🏻 I don't think it would be Merek's though, it seemed to come on quickly and resolved itself (fairly) quickly. She's back at 100% tonight.
She is a "pure"/but landrace breed with what I'm told, a smallish gene pool. I'm leaning - reaction to meds, or genes, or a combination. The breeder is reputable and keeps a good eye on her flock. If I loose any, I will be sending them out for post mortem. Gotta love the mystery of chickens. It is fascinating. I wish there were more knowledgeable vets for chickens that are taking new clients near me..... but it's good and bad: I've realized it's up to me to figure out the right things to do and be prepared.

Back
Top Bottom