Coccidia... signs? Symptoms?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Bluemonster107, May 22, 2019.

1. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    I was on a search in the forum on if quail eating sand was okay and ran across an old post regarding coccidia... I have no idea what this is... newbie... so I went to google ... still not clear... reaching out to actual people here.
    How do I know if my quail have coccidia? What would the poop look like? Is it something I’m supposed to give them to prevent? How do they even get it?

anderstr196 likes this.
  2. el dorado quail

el dorado quail Songster

Mar 24, 2019
    Think it's supposed to make their poop real runny. They get it from unclean conditions I think. Like living in a poopy place

anderstr196 likes this.
  3. anderstr196

anderstr196 Songster

Nov 12, 2018
    NW Alabama
  4. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    anderstr196 likes this.
  5. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    Coccidiosis is caused by coccidia, a single-celled parasite that causes inflammation and bleeding in the intestines of many different species. Birds can get it from eating contaminated dirt or bedding, and also from eating the poop of infected birds. In my experience, symptoms are generally:
    • Watery poop AND/OR blood in poop (it'd be pretty obvious)
    • "Droopy" chicks—lethargy and lack of muscle tone
    You can dose with Corid, both preventatively and as a first line treatment. A general treatment dose for chickens is 2 teaspoons per gallon for 5 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days. I dose my birds at about half that due to smaller body size.

You can't actually overdose them short-term because of the way the drug works. It blocks the uptake of thiamine by the parasites—which keeps them from reproducing—but won't hurt the birds in the time it take to treat.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    anderstr196 and Bluemonster107 like this.
  6. Bluemonster107

Bluemonster107 Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Fresno, California
    @le_bwah ... is a treatment of corid something you would recommend when moving flock to outdoors? Or is it one of those things you don’t treat unless there is symptoms? Strictly in your experience

le_bwah likes this.
  7. le_bwah

le_bwah Crowing

May 1, 2018
    Boise, ID
    My Coop
    Strictly in my experience, it doesn't hurt to treat a week or so after introduction to a potential source of infection. It's actually okay if birds wind up getting a little "sick," because it's the only way to prime their immune defenses against a more severe infection.

Bluemonster107 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: