Coccidia treatment and timeframe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NellaBean, Oct 14, 2009.

1. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I know the treatment for Corid says to treat 5-7 days. Now if a gallon of treated water lasts 2 days, does that count for both days of treatment? Or do I need to treat a "fresh" gallon every day for them? Just wondering....

Also, how long after treatment starts before I STOP seeing the bloody stools? I mixed 2 teaspoons of Corid with a gallon of water...i believe that is close to 9-10 ml/cc?

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    2 tsp is 10 ml. It will take a few days to stop seeing the bloody stools. I would make a new gallon of water daily while they're being treated. you need to treat for 3-4 days after you stop seeing the bloody diarrhea.

3. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    Another kind of random question. The infected chicks are in a brooder shed in the garage. My regular (older) chickens are in their coop and loose in the yard with access to the garage during the day. They cannot get up to the area where the brooder shed is (it is behind a half wall) and have no contact with these chicks. The closest contact is the fact that I am walking Is there any chance they could also get sick? Do I need to treat them as well?

I did have a single chicken with bloody poop a few months ago and treated all of the big chickens for it. Never had any other issues and not even sure that was what the problem was.

4. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    When I had a chick with it, I treated the whole flock just to be safe.

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Quote:For the most part adults are immune competent enough to handle it unless they have other problems or just encounter a super high burden. They should be fine.

6. NellaBean

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I noticed 1 chick not looking well at all yesterday. It died overnight. The rest seem to be doing okay. Other than the sickly one, I think there was less bloody poop in the brooder than normal. The others appear to be acting normally, good appetite and doing normal chick things.

I did start treatment on the entire flock of mine after the death.....as my big flock free ranges, I don't even know that I would notice bloody poop. So now everyone is being treated, just in case.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by