Coccidia treatment chicks and adults. Ducks, large fowl, bantams etc... Help and advice please. :)

kabhyper1

Songster
6 Years
Mar 7, 2013
Columbia City, IN
My Coop
My Coop
I have 2 flocks. 1 bantam 1 large fowl. I am treating everyone for coccidia after finding some bloody stool in bantam flock, and hearing some sneezing in both. Everyone is acting fine, just a precaution.
Per a thread on here, I'm dosing with liquid corid 9.6 % at 2 teaspoons per gallon of water, changed once a day. They drink almost a gallon a day per flock. The LF maybe 2 gallons.
I have 17 bantams (not including 7 four week olds in house with mother, 5 4 days olds in house with mother) and 29 LF. 3 ducks. I have not started treatment yet on LF but I have on bantams. I would like to put the 4 week olds and their mother outside with the flock and am wondering if they can drink the same water/ dosage as the adult bantams. They have been exposed to the flock, so they should probably be treated. I was going to get medicated feed, but felt that they would benefit more from the same treatment the rest of the flock is getting. And they reallllyy need to go outside!

So my questions are,

Can the 4 week olds share corid dose with the adults?
Can my 3 ducks be treated the same as the chickens? They coop together.
What is the egg withdrawl period on corid?
I have a 4 day old wry neck chick on poly vi sol, can she eat medicated feed with her hatchmates, so they get some immunity from coccid?

Thanks in advance!

The chicks can drink the same Corid as the adults--they will only drink what they need. Treat the ducks as well. Corid has no egg withdrawal. The wry neck chick can also be treated without a problem. Some will tell you not to give vitamins while on Corid, but I would disregard that advice and do it for her wry neck.

Last edited:
The chicks can drink the same Corid as the adults--they will only drink what they need. Treat the ducks as well. Corid has no egg withdrawal. The wry neck chick can also be treated without a problem. Some will tell you not to give vitamins while on Corid, but I would disregard that advice and do it for her wry neck.
Thanks so much! So the poly vi sol won't mess up the corid treatment then? its nice to know they dont have to go by weight, I have all sizes over here! :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much! So the poly vi sol won't mess up the corid treatment then? its nice to know they dont have to go by weight, I have all sizes over here! :)
I believe polyvisol does contain thiamine hydrochloride,so i would not use it with corid treatment,parasite needs thiamine to survive/reproduce and amprolium(Corid) is an analog of thiamine(prevents the uptake of thiamine to parasite).

No. There are a few people that insist on not giving vitamins to chickens while on Corid due to the fact that Corid mimics thiamine in the cocci, but it really shouldn't make a difference, especially since there are vitamins in feed. In this case the wry neck demands the vitamins.

What about medicated feed and poly vi sol. She is only 4 days old. The chicks are in the house and have no symptoms, no one has ssymptoms, except for the occasional sneeze I hear, and the one little bloody poop. Anyway, Im being better safe than sorry. I could wait to treat the 4 day olds and their mom.

Last edited:
She's doing better, she learned water bottle today. :)
0.jpg

I thought that you were already using medicated feed. Since you have Corid, you can instead give a preventative dose of Corid at 1/3 the normal treatment dose for 5 days every at 3 week intervals to chicks that are going to be exposed when they are outside. If you do use medicated feed, just be alert for symptoms of cocci in the chicks after they are on dirt.

Back
Top Bottom