1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidia vaccine

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Larkspur88, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    Where do I go to get this vaccine? I want to start vaccinating my birds before I add them to the flock. I have such a terrible infestation so far no measures have managed it. All my new birds get severly sick (or die) as soon as they join the main flock.

2. sager:)silkies

sager:)silkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    are u talkin about coccidiosis i have found that this disease mainly targets young birds actually i am fighting this diesise as we speak i was losing my chicks faster then i could count but then a freind of mine told me what i could have so i went out and bought Sulfadimethoxine and i havent lost a bird since and the chicks are starting to run around again and play b4 they sit there like they were cold and had ruffled feathers almost like they were depressed i hope this can help u but that medicen isnt the cheppest stuff on the market but when my chicks started dieing i wasent worried about price

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There isn't a vaccine.
    There are meds. Amprolium is about the most common. A medicated chick starter is usually sufficient. I normally don't medicate unless they show signs.
    Primary transmission is the droppings of infected birds.
    Keep bedding dry and keep feeders full or rear in wire cages.

4. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    x2 and amprol was the other med my friend told me to get but they only had the one so i took what i could get

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
  6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I stand corrected.

7. sager:)silkies

Oct 1, 2011
    Canada
    that gallon jug on there is similar to what i got

8. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    I have (most likely) resistant strains of cocci here on my small land. I have both amprolium and sulf in a gallon jug. :) I use it almost monthly. I even have large adults who get it and then keel over and die. My birds are fine then they are put in the coop and literally they die in a weeks time. I even had a necropsy done. No viral stuff. Just cocci...lots and lots. I even took everyone out the pen used ammonia and drenched their house an run over several days and medicated them while they were out their coop. Put sand down too.

Thanks for the link

9. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I was having the same problem in my baby pen. I use Corid (amprolium) at a low dose continuously in the water until they are moved to the adult pen. It's the only things that's worked for me and I haven't lost one since!

10. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The only things that I know of that will kill the cocci oocytes are heat and oxine. You may want to buy some oxine and spray down the inside of the coop until it gets wet then let it dry out.

You can take one of those blow torch thingys that are used to start fires, attach it to a propane tank and burn your ground also.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by