1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiocis!!!!!!! How much egg yolk to feed?????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cowboyclayt, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Help! Think my one week old chicks have coccidiosis. I was told to feed them hard boiled egg yolk but I don't know how much. How much should I give them? I already gave them two yolks. I have 10 chicks. (5 of them died!) :barnie

Cackle is shipping me 4 more chicks. How should I introduce them to the one week olds? Do I just put them in with them? I am afraid they will get pestered. :/

Any help would be appreciated!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    What are you basing your statement re:"they have coccidiosis" on? Egg yolk will not cure coccidiosis. Where are you brooding them? If they truly do have coccidiosis, you can't put the new chicks in with them. The new chicks will get sick. are you doing anything to treat coccidiosis other than giving them egg yolk? More info needed. What are the chicks acting like? Heat source, temp under the heat source and at the opposite end of the brooder. Brooder size?

3. I called cackle hatchery and they said it sounds like coccidiosis. Our local feed store said it sounds like C. One of my friends who has 100 chickens says it sounds like C. as well. The ones that died were really lethargic and wouldn't eat. They would only drink if I gave them water out of a little dropper. I am giving them Amprolium right now. The ones that I have left seem to be okay. I know egg yolk isn't a cure, but a Cackle Hatchery told me it would give them some vitamins they would need and the ones that weren't eating are more likely to eat egg yolk. Their heat source is a lamp and it is about 90 degrees underneath the heat lamp and a little farther away it is around 80-85. The brooder size is about 2" by 3". I am using hay for bedding. Their feed is not medicated.
    Thanks so much for replying! :) I hope I can figure out the problem! :fl

4. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Wishing you the best.

5. BREKEN

BREKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    I got chicks a week apart and I simply put them together. at first the new babies were confused and stayed separate but once they found the food all was well.

6. BREKEN

BREKEN Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2016
    Have you considered just giving them a small back of medicated feed will treat the coccidia. You can also mix the medicated with non medicated if you want, but i would just give it straight for a period of time and switch back to non medicated

1 person likes this.
  7. How often should I change their litter? I was thinking about using pine chips, but there are too many little pieces the chicks were trying to eat. Is there a way to sift those out?

8. No, I hadn't considered it. I think I will try that though! Thank you!:thumbsup

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Don't worry about them eating the shavings. Give them large flake shavings for bedding. All chicks pick up and carry stuff in their mouths, and it's not unusual for them to eat a piece or two. give them a plug of sod from your yard and they will explore that as well. If there are no bits of sand/gravel/grit in the sod, you can give them some chick sod as well.

I simply put in a nice layer of shavings, and top it off every day or two. I don't change their litter. Also, be sure you have their water set up in such a way that they can't spill it or kick shavings into it. I hang mine from a chain. It is easy to raise it up a link or two as they grow so it's always the right height. Wet litter can make chicks more prone to illness. Plus, it stinks.

1 person likes this.
  10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

I just don't understand how week old chicks living in a brooder get cocci, enough of a load to die from. It's got to come from somewhere, they're not born with it. Unless you have a huge load on your land, and have been adding a lot of soil from your land to the brooder, I'm just not seeing that it's cocci.

If they were say 6-8 weeks old, out on dirt for the first time, I could buy it. But tiny littles, my mind says where did it come from? Sounds like something else to me, likely just shipping stress, or maybe overheating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by