Coccidiosis after antibiotic treatment?

Carolrich

Songster
Sep 26, 2016
Kentucky
My poor rooster Stanley. We just finished treating him with a round of antibiotics for his foot access (healed now) but he is lethargic, hunching, his legs have lost yellow pigment and I have to encourage him to eat. His crop is not impacted or squishy. His poops are normal. I wonder if a chicken can get an intestinal disorder such as coccidiosis after a round of antibiotics. Just in case, I started him on corid 9.6%, 1 tsp per gallon in his water and isolated him (again). I may have to force some of the water with a syringe although just now he voluntary took several drinks of water when I placed it in front of him. Fortunately he has had little to no interaction with the others over the last few weeks.
Any thoughts from the experts?

Sometimes antibiotics kill off the good stuff and that will let any bad stuff thrive. He probably had some already but with the antibiotics doing it’s work it made the environment a bit better for coccidia to overtake.
Thank you. Do you think I should treat all the other hens just in case?

I have been having some of my own health issues so
I will do this later today. Good suggestion. He had lost weight before and during his foot abcess treatment.
Look yummy doesn't it? LOL Here is a poop from this morning mixed a bit with bedding. I think it looks normal. I will weigh him tonight when he is easier to pick up in the dark..
IMG_0458.JPG

Poop looks fine. Corid is never a bad idea. I might try to get some actual poultry probiotics to add to the water, wouldn't hurt. Personally, I never feed dairy as chickens simply aren't made to digest it, whether it has probiotics or not (and honestly, store bought yogurt is really questionable as to how much live bacteria it even contains).

Poop looks fine. Corid is never a bad idea. I might try to get some actual poultry probiotics to add to the water, wouldn't hurt. Personally, I never feed dairy as chickens simply aren't made to digest it, whether it has probiotics or not (and honestly, store bought yogurt is really questionable as to how much live bacteria it even contains).
Thanks. I will continue the corid protocol. What would you recommend for probiotics?
Stanley is more perky today. He feels heavier. I've been feeding him scrambled eggs and cooked oatmeal along with the chicken feed and a few dried meal worms. He has also eaten some squash and tomatoes. I have to put the food and water directly in front of him. This poor guy has been through so much with the loss of his eye and then the foot abscess. I continue to keep him apart from the hens. They mercilessly pick on him as they sense his weakness. It is so ironic as I got him to protect THEM. I hope if he is ever well, he will get his mojo on:)

Back
Top Bottom