Coccidiosis - Age?

Shelly Chip

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Hi,

I just brought 3 silkie chicks the other day all around 1 - 2 weeks old. The littlest one (about a week old) is having poop stuck to his butt sometimes. I also saw a little blood on his feathers around his butt but I have yet to see any bloody poop. He does seem a little fluffed but is otherwise eating and drinking well. The other 2 chicks seem fine with well-formed stool. I am not sure what the sick chick's poop looks like, I just know I have not seen any bloody stool in the cage. My question is...could this chick have coccidiosis? From my reading it sounded like coccidia took a couple weeks before the chicks show symptoms?

Shelly

It might be. Are there other symtoms like frothy, watery or foul smelling poop?
Is she lethargic? If you do see bloody poop then it is a sigh that the coccidia is very, very bad.
Good luck!

birds can and sometimes have cocci without any bloody stool at all. It depends on the strain of cocci and the area in which it is in the intestine. There are 9 strains of cocci and cocci can attack a chicken at any age if they are over loaded with a strain of cocci they are not yet immune to. signs of cocci can be as subtle as ruffled feathers to lethergie. Bloody stool may or may NOT be present. The good news is corid known as amprollium will kill ALL 9 strains of cocci. While other meds only kill certain strains. So if you see signs of cocci its best to treat with corid. After treatment follow with a probotic to replace good bacteria. I hope this helps you out. many think bloody stool must always be present to have coccidosis. That's just NOT true. It may or may not be present. I wish you the best.

I 2nd the corid!

I keep it on hand at all times as well as medicated chick starter. I feed the med chick feed 1 bowl once a month to keep everything under control as I have a lg amount of birds ranging diff age in my coop. I have found this works great for me!

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom