Coccidiosis and chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wjallen05, Dec 19, 2008.

1. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    Educate me please!

I have a gallon of Sulfadimethoxine that I use to treat/preventative treat my goats for Coccidia. I know nothing about coccidia and chickens.

TIA! [​IMG]

2. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    Same thing. Corrid is what I used for my goat and you can use for chickens. Make the drench and put in there water.....

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Might want to read up on signs of cocci, or if you are uncertain, take a fecal sample to the vet to see if they have it. If they have it, you can treat. But... I've only had to treat once in all the years I've had chickens... so you are probably fine.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Quote:wow- broad question.
    symptoms? transmission? treatment? one could write pages.
    the topic has been discussed many many times, how about searching the subject and asking specific questions if you are still confused about it. If you know about goats and cocci, you know the basics already.

5. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    The coccidia that affect goats will be different than the ones affecting chickens, but the results are similar. Sulfa drugs are said to be harder on the chicken's system than Amprolium (Corid, Amprol), but I personally would keep both on hand and rotate them if I had recurring problems. Amprolium 9.6% has done the trick for me.

The Merck Vet Manual has some good info on this ~

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm

That said, though, prevention is better than cure! Much (not all) of the risk of this can be lessened with good sanitation and minimal flock blending.

6. wjallen05

wjallen05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    North Georgia
    well, I am familar with Coccidia, obviously, but only with goats. I wasn't sure if some people prevantive treat chickens or wait for the signs, and I am unsure what signs to look for. That's mostly what I was wanting to know. Also, not sure the dosage and if it's given orally or mixed with water, or what. I give it to my goats orally for a 5 day treatment.

Thanks for the info Jenski!

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by