Coccidiosis and how do you treat your laying hens?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by madimorg, Apr 18, 2012.

1. madimorg

madimorg Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Central Ohio
    I'm suspicious that I may have hens with coccidiosis based on a couple acting lethargic and the poops I'm seeing. I would like to treat my flock for this. How would you best treat a flock of laying hens? I'd like to hear what medications, etc.. you have experience with as well as withdrawl times for the eggs for consumption.

2. pernotcortez

pernotcortez Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    9.5 cc of liquid 9.6% Corid per gallon of water or 10 cc, which is so close. I would say t 2-4 weeks, jus to be safe a month after treatment. Before I'd consume the eggs. Hope this helps.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    There is no withdrawal time with Corid (Amprolium). There is a fairly wide safety margin of use with Corid. 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon, and the 20% powder is 1 to 1.5 tsp per gallon of water for treatment of symptoms. Do it for 7 days, making a fresh drinking solution each morning and let that be the only source of drinking water for birds. Follow up after the last day of treatment with poultry vitamin-electrolyte-probiotic powder in waterers for 3 days.
    Vitamin and Probiotic Plus are both excellent products made by ASP: http://www.cheshirehorse.com/Old-Stone-Fort-Water-Soluble-Poultry-Products-P15725.aspx

If you have not wormed your birds, it would be a good idea to do so if they are through moulting.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2014
  4. pernotcortez

pernotcortez Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    3 z of liquid per gallon of water for 6 days. I put 6oz in 2 gallons of water and left them locked in the chicken yard till water was all gone about a week. That cleared everything up, but I disposed of all the eggs for 3 weeks after treatment. I think its best to treat everybody at the same time. My little Ms. Green an Americauna had a serious case of cocci, after a week of treatment she looked and felt so much better.

5. Larry Idle

Larry Idle New Egg

Nov 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by