1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis and other symptoms

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jacqdiva, Sep 4, 2014.

1. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    I have a group of chicks with Araucanas and Orpingtons that I suspect have coccidiosis. Some just gasp and others have a cough/sneeze, runny eyes, and there are some with blood in their faeces. I have them quarantined. All other groups of chicks and adult birds are so far ok. I sent my husband to the livestock store and they sold him some drops called cocci vet by Vetafarm. It says for pigeons and ornamental birds. I googled it and it actually says it can treat all birds. The active constituents are amprolium 80g and Ethopabate 5.1g, the bottle is 50ml. Does anyone have experience here. I am in Australia and I hear you all talk of corrid, but the store didn't know anything else to prescribe. Advice ANYONE? :he

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  2. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    Oh sorry syringe feed them food

3. coppertop2014

coppertop2014 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    Bend, Oregon
    My Coop
    They will not eat.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I answered on your other post, but it sounds like they have coccidiosis as well as a possible respiratory disease. Coccidiosis can cause a decrease in appetite and drinking because of abdominal pain, but you may need to syringe or dropper feed the medications to help them. Respiratory diseases such as ILT, infectious bronchitis, MG. and coryza are carrier diseases which may infect your whole flock. Antibiotics such as Tylan, oxytetracycline, and erythromycin may be used to treat symptoms. Here is some reading about these diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

5. Jacqdiva

Jacqdiva Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2014
    Hervey Bay QLD Australia
    Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by