Coccidiosis and scaly leg mites

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by camie12345, Dec 14, 2014.

1. camie12345

camie12345 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    Hi,
    I have 3 about 6 month bantam chickens. They all seemed fine until about a week ago when one pooped out blood. I spoil my chickens and my first thought was that it was just the raspberries I fed them the previous day. But today as I was cleaning out their coop and watching my chickens I noticed that some of the droppings had blood in them. I did some research and discovered the desease coccidiosis. I read that it was fatal which really scares me, because my chickens are my dearly loved pets and I would be destroyed if one died so quickly (I got them about a month ago). They are like my kids!
    anyway, I looked carefully at all of the chickens and I noticed that my chicken Snowy seemed very pale and wasn't eating much but drank plenty. I just ordered Corin but it won't come until Wednesday and I'm not sure if that will be quick enough! I'm isolating her tonight to see tomorrow if she's the one who's been pooping blood. She's also been super quiet lately and she's just been sitting, not really doing much. please help!
    Another one of my chickens has something weird on the back of her legs. One of my friends who's had chickens for years suggested that they were scaly leg mites, but please tell me if they are dangerous. They flake of if I touch them but they don't really seem to be affecting her health. Should I buy medication for it? If so, what should I get?
    I'm very new to chickens so I'm not really familiar with any of these diseases. This is my very first flock.
    Thanks for all the help!
    ~Camie

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Take the one that is sufffering the most severe symptoms in-house. You need to give a poultry vitamin-electrolyte in water. Give the bird one half of a 25mg vitamin K tab. This will help with bleeding. Feed easily digestible food like moist feed or a little bread moistened with buttermilk.

Corid is the the Coccidiastat you meant, correct? If so, there are two formulations. One is a 20% powder dosed 1.5 tsp per gallon of water, the other is 9.6% liquid and is dosed 2-3 tsp per gallon. This is done for 5-7 days. Follow up after with a poultry vitamin and probiotic like Probios for 2-3 days after treatment. Probios dispersible powder is sold at most feed stores and looks like this: http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules3.html

Keep Corid on hand at all times. It is a necessity for the poultry med cabinet. I hope all your birds can overcome this.

3. camie12345

camie12345 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    thanks for all the help!

4. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    You're welcome. It would be helpful to start using Probios dispersible powder in water for the whole flock. That is better than nothing at this point. If there is any way to get Corid (Amprolium) any sooner, by all means do it. Post here once you get some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by