Coccidiosis and wazine 34?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessica32, Sep 5, 2010.

1. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Hi everyone. This is my second year with chickens. Last season my pullets got coccidiosis after I took them to my aunt's farm while I was farm sitting. I treated them with sulmet, didn't lose any and haven't had problems since. This year I got some more chicks. They appear healthy but do live with last years chickens. I recently got a new dog. She got sick and I took her to the vet the other day. She was diagnosed with coccidia which my vet said was from my chickens. She put my dog on flagyl and she is doing fine. But she also wanted me to treat my chickens and gave me wazine 34 to use. I did it right away as I wanted them to be treated at the same time as my dog. It said on the bottle though that it was a dewormer. From what I looked up, it doesn't seem to be used for coccidiosis. Does anyone know if it actually will work for this? If my chickens are healthy could they still give her coccidiosis? Could she have gotten it from my other dog who was exposed to my chickens last year when they were sick? My older dog never showed any problems but, from what I looked up it sounds like they may not if they are full grown and not under a lot of stress. If wazine is not effective in treating coccidiosis should I treat my chickens sulmet as well? None of them are showing symptoms. Also how long should I wait to eat my eggs after giving wazine?

I'm sorry that this more a dog question than a chicken one but, I figured that since it originated from chickens in some way, it would probably be best to ask chicken people![​IMG]

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I think you need to get a new vet; Wazine is for worms not cocci.

Dogs could get it from chickens, but if it is a puppy they more likely picked it up from the original home the dog came from.

3. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    First, everything i have ever read about coccidiosis says that the protozoa are species specific - meaning dogs don't get coccidiosis from chickens and chickens don't get coccidiosis from rabbits. Chicken strains affect chickens; dog strains affect dogs; and rabbit strains affect rabbits; and so on.

Second, coccidiosis is not a germ-spread disease like other things. It is an overwhelming infestation of an organism that your chicken develops a resistance to so that it is not damaged by it. If your chickens are not showing signs of sickness, or bloody feces, i would not medicate them at all. They do not get rid of the organism; they just learn how to resist it.

The reason your chickens would've gotten sick from going to your aunt's house would be that your aunt's home - soil, etc., contains protozoa which are members of a different strain of coccidiosis than the ones at your house. The new foreign strains could make them sick since they had not previously developed a resistance.

With all due respect, i would also look into finding a new vet. [​IMG]

Oh, and to second - for Cocci, you would be looking for either amprolium or sulmet. But again, if they're not showing symptoms, they're fine.

4. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Bizarre- the dog could have coccidia, but it was HIGHly unlikely that it was from the chickens. They both get coccidia, but different type. You are as much at risk from the chicken's coccidia as the dog is- basically zilch.
    Also- flagyl is metronidazole, it DOES work against some protozoal organisms (like giardia), but is not used for coccidia. Are you sure the vet didn't say giardia? Glad the dog is doing well. Metronidazole will help with many types of canine diarrhea, just not coccidia directly. It would help with bacterial overgrowth in a unhealthy gut made so by coccidia... but that is grasping at straws. Coccidia in canines- standard treatment is with albon (sulfadimethoxine), or more recently- some vets are using ponazuril.

Wazine is piperazine- which has no effect on giardia or coccidia, any protozoal... It will treat roundworms only.

Someone is confused here.... I certainly am.

Quote:

5. jessica32

jessica32 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Thanks for the replies so far. My vet recently retired and this new vet took over the practice. She seemed so nice but, when I looked up wazine, I really started questioning...

I did use the wazine already, so any info on how long I have to discard eggs would be appreciated.

6. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
  7. BayChicks

BayChicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Reedville
    14 days withdrawal for eggs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by