Coccidiosis and worming in older hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MO-Chickie, Feb 24, 2012.

1. MO-Chickie

MO-Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Hi all - I have a 3-year old light brahma that seems to have come down with coccidiosis again. I posted about her about 7 months ago here:https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/531670/no-cocci-meds-now-what and she's showing the same symptoms again...dark liquidy stools, lethargy and sitting on the roost when she should be out foraging with everyone else, etc.

After quite a bit of research it seems that she should have immunity to these parasites since I haven't added any new chickens or other risk factors. Someone in the previous thread asked if I wormed them. I don't, but perhaps I should? I have a total of 6 hens, half are 3 yrs old and half are 1 yr old and other than this one hen none has ever shown signs of disease. Since her back half was disgusting, she got a bath and is convalescing in the kitchen (to my husband's chagrin LOL) until she's dry and can go back to the coop. I will be treating with Sulmet.

So should I treat for 7 days and then see about worming everyone? I'm assuming the egg withdrawal time will be listed on the package? Thanks so much for any help!

--Amy

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I highly doubt it is cocci. Most likely an age related condition. Worming cannot hurt. Older hens get internal tumors.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Cocci content in the soil is highly dependent on the weather. There are also several varieties that can make chickens ill. Then there is the immunity of the host to consider- a healthy bird may not be affected by an overload of cocci, whereas a sickly bird might show signs of illness under the same load. There are other factors too, such as natural resistance, and on and on...

The bird has a history of contracting cocci. That means she either has little natural resistance, is not acquiring an immunity/has a weakened immune system, or the weather has been so wet that the cocci content in your area has gone through the roof. I would treat her for cocci and then worm her after the course of treatment is over. Cocci can be very dangerous even in older birds. If her GI system gets filled with lesions as a result of the cocci, she is not going to be able to digest her food. You need to prevent that from happening.

I hope this helps. Good luck, Amy.

4. there are also 9 different strains of Cocci. I bought chicks last spring that were 'innoculated' for Cocci. My Cochin still had it. I treated with Albon.

5. MO-Chickie

MO-Chickie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2009
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I can't blame it on the weather because we've been hella dry this winter with no snow and not much rain. Of course it's been freakishly warm also, so perhaps the ground hasn't frozen enough to kill oocysts? I'm pretty sure the only wormer available at my local farm store is wazine. Is this ok or should I find something online that works better?

I appreciate your help!

--Amy

6. it seems that a lot of people have had different experiences with wormers and stuff. I would do a seach on here and read up to make your choice. I personally ordered a bottle of Valbazene on line. I use it twice a year. It works great for me and my girls. I give .5 cc on a piece of bread and they dont even know its there.

7. Chari

Chari Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Brookville Indiana
    HI, What is a good wormer for my chickens?

8. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Wazine

9. wazine first to get rid of the big guys. Follow up two weeks later with Valbazene- ten days later hit again with valbazene to kill the eggs that hatched from the first round. works like a charm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by