Coccidiosis! Blood all in the coop! *GRAPHIC!

toriiemariie

In the Brooder
Jul 31, 2020
East TN
Went to let my girls out and found this!! Everyone is acting fine they came running out like their normal selfs eating and drinking. I’m headed to tractor supply to get them started on amprolium. This was my first sign I even walked their run and nothing til this! I checked for injuries and everyone is fine too!

Attachments

• 4E13FAA4-F85F-4667-9EA7-8263E99561F2.jpeg
    4E13FAA4-F85F-4667-9EA7-8263E99561F2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 2A13A12F-EA8C-4E60-BA68-2BF49D6B0BEC.jpeg
    2A13A12F-EA8C-4E60-BA68-2BF49D6B0BEC.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
  • 44E004ED-4B31-4606-A8E1-EAC839C67548.jpeg
    44E004ED-4B31-4606-A8E1-EAC839C67548.jpeg
    205 KB · Views: 24
Amprolium is a good idea--either this is coccidiosis and it treats it, or this has another cause and the amprolium does not cause harm.

Did you pick any up and look at their back ends? Is any of this stuff on their vents or the feathers nearby? That could help confirm whether the red is from their poop.

Did you look carefully at their combs and toenails? A broken toenail can bleed quite a bit and then scab up. Comb injuries tend to bleed a lot, so a tiny scab is sometimes the only sign of something that made a big, bloody mess.

I agree with sourland, think about what they ate recently. Watermelon, strawberries, pokeberries--plenty of things can cause red in the poop.

I don't know what it is, just suggesting a few other possible causes. And I agree that treating with amprolium is a good first step. Coccidiosis can get worse fast, while most of the other things I can think of would resolve themselves.

They haven’t eaten any berries but I was surprised with how bright it was and by the amount too. I checked all combs and bodies and not a single drop of blood on any of them. Everyone is acting totally normal. They are only 17 weeks old so no one has started laying yet at first was concerned about an egg breaking inside one of them but everyone’s back end seems to be fine. Hopefully the amprolium helps.

They haven’t eaten any berries but I was surprised with how bright it was and by the amount too. I checked all combs and bodies and not a single drop of blood on any of them. Everyone is acting totally normal. They are only 17 weeks old so no one has started laying yet at first was concerned about an egg breaking inside one of them but everyone’s back end seems to be fine. Hopefully the amprolium helps.
That's what happened to me yesterday! First time in my life. And so quickly too! Hope your birds are better soon. They put on such a brave face.

They are all acting fine and have had medicine for 3 days now. I never had any other sign of them being sick so far. So fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom