Coccidiosis cleard up, now something NEW????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Meat Hunter, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Meat Hunter

Meat Hunter Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Last week, had a bad spell of coccidiosis. Thanks to some fast acting members here, I was pointed in the right direction as far as treatment goes. A few days on the meds, all the chicks are doing great.

Now, just 10 minutes ago, I walk out and they are all frisky as can be but one hen. She walks around with her eyes closed. No discharge coming from them. When I pick her up, she opens her eyes but shuts them after a few moments. She appears very tired. As soon as I set her down, she acts if shes very sleepy like she can barely keep her head up, and slowly lowers her head, but when she does, every couple of seconds, her head has a slight jerk to it, almost like she has the hiccups. She reacts to sound and gets up when startled, walks a bit, then settles back down. Any ideas on this?

2. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    You say, "a few days on the meds". Are they still on the meds? I'm pretty sure most treatments for coccidiosis take at least ten days.

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    On my Corid bottle it said to treat for 5 days. I would start the meds again. Sounds like she didnt get over it all the way.

4. Meat Hunter

May 29, 2011
    Hi gang. No, they are still on the meds, Sulmet. Started that on the 29th of May. Yesterday, all seemed happy and fine. This one hen though, just relapsed but this head jerking thing is new.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Is the jerking like tremors in the neck? That could be something nuerological or possibly the virus AE (Avian Encephalomyelitis).

6. Meat Hunter

May 29, 2011
    Its not continuous like tremors, just a subtle jerk, like a small hiccup every 10 seconds or so. It's a upwards jerk, not a downward one, if that makes a difference. Basically just the head, like you were nodding off and you jerk your head back up.

Aside from that, and the fact that she doesn't want to open her eyes, everything else with her is fine. She gets up and walks a short way, sits back down. Squawks when she is picked up. She will open her eyes for a brief period when handled but shuts them shortly thereafter. Have not seen her poo but there is no evidence of running poo in the pen since treatment with sulmet stated approx one week ago.

7. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sometimes chicks with cocci will do what they call "starve out". In other words, not want to eat. I had a baby quail wil cocci that became a starve out. So I had to feed her what ever she would eat till she began eating on her own. So all she ate for about 2 weeks was hard boiled egg yolk. She did survive and is now 1 1/2 years old, but she is not the healthiest specimen. But she enjoys life.

Starve outs can die if they don't get food into them. You need to hand feed this little chick. So try to get the little one to eat something. Anything just to keep her/him alive till it fully recovers from cocci. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  8. Meat Hunter

May 29, 2011
    Thanks twocrows. I don't think I mentioned that these are meat birds, are approx 6 1/2 weeks old, around 5 or so pounds. Still advise that I feed by hand? If so, what all do you think I should give her?

9. Meat Hunter

May 29, 2011
    Ok, well I made up a paste of grower crumb and water, held her mouth open a bit and my son dropped in the food. Fed her approx 1/8th of a cup. Then used a drinking straw like and eye dropper and gave her some water, probably about 2 tbl or so. Going to let her go till morning and resume and see if things have changed.

10. TwoCrows

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am not familiar with meat birds, but all this should still apply. And if you plan on using her for meat, you had best keep shoveling in the food! [​IMG] Keep her eating and drinking and at least you did the best you could.

Good luck with your birds! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by