Coccidiosis conundrum

Red Horse

Songster
May 16, 2022
So my 20 week old chickens have coccidiosis... I got in touch with an avian vet in the area to confirm it via fecal samples, and they have been on corid for 10 days... I got in touch with her after day 7 to tell her they were still symptomatic and she said to give it a few more days. They all seem fine and are eating, drinking and behaving normally but some are still having foamy yellow poops and mucousy bloody diarrhea. One rooster and one hen have started turning pale again (most of them were pale early on but started looking better about day 5). I called the avian vet again because it seems like the next step would be some kind of antibiotic? But instead she's leaving the office for a week and told me just to take them off corid and see how they do with some probiotics. I'm supposed to call if they get bad again and hope the office can get a hold of her. They've already been on probios this whole time... I'm worried that I may lose my hen and rooster if they're already getting sick again. Does this seem like good advice to you folks?

These are some of the poops I've found over the last couple days. I've seen them all again today but I didn't bother with more pics, I'm sure my neighbors already think I'm nuts!

Attachments

• 20220925_193828.jpg
    20220925_193828.jpg
    774.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220924_125024.jpg
    20220924_125024.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220924_125014.jpg
    20220924_125014.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 6
1.5 tsp per gallon (of the powder) plus 1 tsp probios per gallon. I noticed that some other BYC members continue to treat with corid but lower the dose after 7 days so I asked this vet about it. She says that it causes resistance in the cocci against corid, have you ever heard this? Nothing she has said has been in agreement with what I've learned from all these wonderful people here and if I hadn't taken their advice initially I think I would have lost birds to this already.

1.5 tsp per gallon (of the powder) plus 1 tsp probios per gallon. I noticed that some other BYC members continue to treat with corid but lower the dose after 7 days so I asked this vet about it. She says that it causes resistance in the cocci against corid, have you ever heard this? Nothing she has said has been in agreement with what I've learned from all these wonderful people here and if I hadn't taken their advice initially I think I would have lost birds to this already.
I have never heard of them building up a resistance. I did lose a bird to cocci once and am pretty liberal about my use of it now. I would rather be safe than sorry

I agree, I'm not someone who can just do nothing and hope for the best. If I feel I've done everything I can and things still don't turn out right I cope a little better. How much longer do you recommend the high dose of corid before reducing?

I agree, I'm not someone who can just do nothing and hope for the best. If I feel I've done everything I can and things still don't turn out right I cope a little better. How much longer do you recommend the high dose of corid before reducing?
I've done the high dose for a full two weeks in an extreme case. I would cut down once their poop starts looking better. What are you feeding them? You didn't mention vitamins so I'm assuming you know not to do B vitamins during corid treatment

Also I'm sorry, I think I posted this thread twice somehow but I'm not sure how to delete the duplicate.
It should be fixed soon.

I found the duplicate thread, clicked "report," and got a popup box where I typed the reason (it's a duplicate.) That will go to a mod, who can delete the extra or combine them into one thread.

If that happens again in future, just "report" your own post, and give the explanation.

Back
Top Bottom