Coccidiosis, Corid and Vitamin B Treatment (question)

DragonClaw01

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 25, 2013
So, apparently my whole flock has Coccidiosis as many diseases become "if one gets it, they all get it".

I've noticed a drop in egg production, but I am pretty sure they had it awhile. Only one or two is symptomatic really.

I have a mixed flock of birds, peafowl, turkeys, guineas, chickens, ducks and geese, sometimes I have birds of prey or chukar or other kinds of birds.

I read the best treatment is Corid, but that they can get a Vitamin B deficiency. I heard the Corid works by starving out the coccidia of Vitamin B and a shot is recommended of Vitamin B. Is oral Vitamin B (Like the liquid kind from Rooster Booster) the same, or will that react differently?

I have a lot of birds and catching them all for 5 days straight isn't that easy and giving them a shot will be kind of costly.

So what's the best way to go about this?

This is from the Merial website:
How CORID works
Structurally, CORID mimics thiamin (Vitamin B1) which is required by coccidia for normal growth and reproduction. When coccidia ingest CORID, they experience thiamin deficiency and starve from malnutrition.

It doesn't cause a vitamin B1 thiamine deficiency, unless you were to use a huge amount beyond normal dosage. It also affects the thiamine in the coccidia organism, not in the chicken. Chickens do not require a vitamin shot while getting Corid.

Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid, or 1 1/2 tsp of the powder, per gallon of water for 5 days. Make a clean batch daily. Every different species of bird has different strains of coccidia.Ducks don't normally have much trouble with coccidiosis, but chickens, quail, pheasants, and chukar do suffer from their different strains. Corid should treat all strains.If you are only seeing illness in chickens, then treat only your chickens.

I hope this helps, and here are a couple of good articles to read:

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/12/coccidiosis-what-backyard-chicken.html

So, apparently my whole flock has Coccidiosis as many diseases become "if one gets it, they all get it".

I've noticed a drop in egg production, but I am pretty sure they had it awhile. Only one or two is symptomatic really.

I have a mixed flock of birds, peafowl, turkeys, guineas, chickens, ducks and geese, sometimes I have birds of prey or chukar or other kinds of birds.

I read the best treatment is Corid, but that they can get a Vitamin B deficiency. I heard the Corid works by starving out the coccidia of Vitamin B and a shot is recommended of Vitamin B. Is oral Vitamin B (Like the liquid kind from Rooster Booster) the same, or will that react differently?

I have a lot of birds and catching them all for 5 days straight isn't that easy and giving them a shot will be kind of costly.

So what's the best way to go about this?
One doesn't need to worry about a vitamin deficiency unless they give Corid for longer than directed.

-Kathy

One doesn't need to worry about a vitamin deficiency unless they give Corid for longer than directed.

-Kathy
I heard that you need to supplement K and A while they are on Corid, because it depletes them. Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard are all good sources of both.

I heard that you need to supplement K and A while they are on Corid, because it depletes them. Kale, Spinach, Swiss Chard are all good sources of both.
(sorry, I know this is an old thread, but it seems to have smart posters :) )

if you are trying to deplete the vitamin B, then you can't add an electrolyte or other multivitamin, but the available vitamin K supplements are only K2, not K1. It is to prevent intestinal bleeding (If I understand the literature, no guarantee there )

Back
Top Bottom