Coccidiosis Curiosity

Sarah from Olympia

In the Brooder
Oct 2, 2020
I have a flock of 5, 13-wk old pullets and 4, 9-wk old chicks (I'm not clear on where chicks end and pullets begin :). Brannnnd new chicken owner! One of the older flock members had diarhea that progressed to liquid blood splatters coming out with the diarhea. No one has been acting anything other than healthy and I spend a lot of time with them as I am working virtually.

I called a local feed store, read Gail Damerow's SUPER great book on chicken health, read posts on the interwebs, and decided it is more likely coccidiosis than coecal material. Treated with 2 tsp. liquid Corid per one gallon water, mixed fresh daily - for 5 days. I did another 3 days at 1tsp. per gallon. I feed them Payback Organic Chick Starter Crumble. I started hanging both waterer and feeder at back height of the pullets (bleach once a week), remove all droppings on a daily basis, change out pine shavings litter once per week (I add diatomaceous earth when changing, for mites and such) and let them range their fenced in 1/8th of an acre all day so they aren't pecking around in the coop.

The sick chicken(s) responded to the treatment - I saw the blood resolve. I stopped the Corid about 5 days ago. Since I stopped the Corid, I've been giving them chick probiotics/vitamins in their waterer to help build up good gut flora and replenish any nutrients. But the diahrea and some blood is back and one of the younger ones has it now too.

From Damerow's book, it appears that Coccidiosis is a self-limiting disease and by using preventative measures alongside the Corid treatment, it should clear up. So, what am I missing? Is it not Coccidiosis? Do I need to bleach my coop, which was inherited from the previous homeowners? (I power-washed and soap-cleaned it, but never bleached and I'm realizing that may have been really stupid).

If I can figure out which chicken has the bloody poops, I can take them (and a fecal sample) to the vet appointment I scheduled for 10/21 (soonest I can get in). I have all sorts of fears dancing in my head: what if the flock dies? What if even just one dies - I don't want to have to have that happen YET - I just started out! What if I have sickly chickens now who will never lay? Experienced insight is so very appreciated!!!

Just continue with the Corid treatment. Do the higher dosage for 5 days, then retreat after 2 weeks. No need to separate sick from healthy; treat then all regardless and don’t offer them any other source of water. Coccidiosis is EVERYWHERE; it comes from wild birds so just you going outside can bring it back to your brooder. It’s very common.

When my little pullets had bloody discharge I changed to feeding them a medicated chick feed. That also might be helpful. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing a great job with them :)

When my little pullets had bloody discharge I changed to feeding them a medicated chick feed. That also might be helpful. Good luck! Sounds like you are doing a great job with them :)
The medicated chick feed will not treat coccidiosis. It’s meant to add small amounts of the virus strain to try and build immunity. But once coccidiosis is present, medicated feed is useless.

Just continue with the Corid treatment. Do the higher dosage for 5 days, then retreat after 2 weeks. No need to separate sick from healthy; treat then all regardless and don’t offer them any other source of water. Coccidiosis is EVERYWHERE; it comes from wild birds so just you going outside can bring it back to your brooder. It’s very common.

Thanks! To clarify, after 5 days of full dose, give the smaller dose for two weeks?

Coccidiosis is not a virus, it's protozoan parasite.
Treatment blocks thiamine to suppress/kill it.

the action with the Thiamine makes me wonder at what point is the CORID going to negatively effect the birds? I think it can, correct?

Back
Top Bottom