Coccidiosis? Diagnosis and Treatment questions...

wooded acres

Chirping
Mar 1, 2015
north country NY
Hi everyone!
Apologies, I already posted this on an open thread but it was an older one and I haven't gotten any replies yet.
I have 4 chicks, 10-11 weeks old. They've been out in the fenced in garden by day and in a kiddie pool in the garage at night for the past month+. We just built a small enclosure in our chicken coop (on Sunday) and moved them in with the big girls (who have been visiting them each day thru the fence already). I bought a brand new bag of fine pine wood shavings and put some in the coop after we cleaned it out. I also just switched them to developer the other day (same brand as the starter I've been using since I brought them home). Yesterday I noticed blood in the shavings when I went to bring them out, then on the transport to the garden one popped in the box and it had blood in it. I thought maybe just stress from moving, but today i have found more blood in the coop enclosure and then i saw poop from 2 different chicks that has blood in it. The first thing I found upon searching "blood in chicken poop" was coccidiosis; Up until now the worst thing I've had to deal with is mites so I don't have any experience with this. If it is coccidiosis can I treat them with Corid without having the poop tested (we don't have a chicken very around here)? Should I treat my older flock as well? I also have 4 guineas that share the coop, can they catch it too? Can they have Corid? Would my other chickens be immune if it was caught by transferring the chicks into the older ones coop? Also are there any side effects caused by Corid? Are the eggs safe to eat while being treated? Ate there any natural treatments that can be used instead?

Please let me know your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom