coccidiosis exposure and natural treatments?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kimberly4403, Jul 5, 2016.

1. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015
    For those who are raising chicks organically I stumbled upon a product called Kocci free thats supposed to be a natural treatment for coccidiosis has any used it?

Also ive read about benefits of exposing chicks to dirt early on to build immunity and found this website interesting and was wondering if anyone actually does any of this with there chicks as we grow our veg organically and id like to raise our chicks like this too..

http://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2013/11/coccidia-coccidiosis-natural-prevention.html?m=1

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Interesting article but they sure make it a lot more complicated than it needs to be with all those herbs and spices. There is some basic information is missing also.

The life cycle of the bug that causes Coccidiosis starts in the intestines where the bug normally lives and involves the oocysts (eggs) coming out the rear end in the feces. After a couple of days in wet dirt or water with manure in it the eggs develop to a point that they will hatch in the chickens’ intestines and start the cycle over. That bug really thrives in warm moist dirt or warm dirty water, especially with some manure in it. The bug really thrives in the Gulf South, a lot less so in cooler drier areas, but it can still be there. Brooders are often warm and moist wherever you are. Areas around waterers can be wet. Some people heat their water in the winter. It’s always a risk, just more so in some climates and conditions than others.

Exposure to the bug for two to three weeks will cause the chicken to develop an immunity to that specific strain of Coccidiosis. There are several different strains of that Cocci bug, immunity to one does not give you immunity to the others. That article mentioned that older weaker chickens are still susceptible, what probably happens is that a new strain is introduced.

Not all strains of Coccidiosis cause bloody poop. The different strains attack different sections of the intestines and some are more dangerous than others. Some strains do cause bleeding, most don’t, depending more on where they attack than anything else. A lot of people misdiagnose Coccidiosis because they don’t see the bloody poop.

Low level exposure to a specific strain will let the chick or chicken develop the immunity they need. Low levels of the bug are not a problem, I consider it necessary, it’s when the numbers get out of hand that it becomes dangerous. A normal way the numbers get out of hand is the bug is introduced and the chicks are kept in wet conditions or the water stays dirty. That bug thrives in those warm wet conditions. The eggs mature and the chicks eat them. The numbers rapidly build up. Bang, you have a serious problem.

What is the easiest way to prevent Coccidiosis from becoming a problem? Keep things pretty dry. Interrupt the life cycle enough so the numbers don’t build up. And expose them to the bug early so they can work on their immunities and where you can control their environment. That’s easier to do in a brooder than outside on the ground if it sets in wet.

My brooder is in the coop so the chicks are raised with the flock and exposed to anything the adults have. It has a wire bottom so it stays really dry. So dry that there is not enough moisture for that coccidiosis egg to develop. I regularly change the water too so it does not develop in warm poopy water. On the second day in the brooder I give them some dirt from the run where the adults are. That exposes them to any strains of Coccidiosis the adults have (mine do have it), it introduces any probiotics the adults have to the chicks, and it provides grit. Since my brooder is so dry I feed them some dirt every three or four days to give them as steady supply of the Coccidiosis bug. When my chicks hit the ground, normally at five weeks, they have the immunity they need.

It’s probably worth mentioning a warning on wire if you choose to use it. Some wire has small sharp nubs from the manufacturing process that can chew up their feet. Due to the manufacturing process those nubs are usually just on one side. Before you install a wire floor, carefully rub your hand over it to make sure you have the smooth side up, if it has a rough side.

People often make some common mistakes with Coccidiosis, other than misdiagnosing it. Not changing the water regularly (at least every two days to interrupt that bug’s life cycle) and keeping the brooder too wet. A little damp isn’t that dangerous but wet can be deadly. Wet will stink too. They try to raise them in a sterile environment instead of strengthening their immune system. A very common occurrence on this forum is that people keep their brooders pristine and never expose the chicks to anything. When the chicks leave the brooder and hit the ground they come into contact with all kinds of things they have no resistance to. A lot of people feed medicated feed before the chick is exposed to the bug, stop feeding it when they hit the ground and are exposed, then complain about medicated feed not working.

I’ve never heard of Kocci-free. I don’t give my chicks any herbs, spices, put vinegar in the water, or anything else other than expose them as early as I can and keep the brooder pretty dry. I feed mine regular non-medicated chick feed. I’ve never had a problem with Coccidiosis with brooder-raised chicks. I did have a problem once with chicks raised by a broody. The weather set in wet and I made the mistake of not changing the water often enough. I learned.

You can feed yours that stuff if you wish, the kocci-free or any and all of those herbs and spices. I don’t know if it helps or not but I’m pretty sure it will not hurt them.

3. Kimberly4403

Kimberly4403 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2015

So adding some dirt, clump of grass or marigolds with roots and dirt to the brooder is a good idea? My babies are 1 week old should i leave them to settle in first before i do this? I just got them today

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by