Coccidiosis!! Help me!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rosemarysugar, Jan 12, 2019.

1. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    Any help is appreciated. I got 3 new chicks a week ago. One guy had extreme lethargy and runny diarrhea and the other two have to gotten the diarrhea as well. I took them to our avian vet and he said coccidiosis and prescribed trimeth/sulpha suspension. Ive been giving it as directed along with a little squirt of yogurt each time to help with normal flora maintenance. They had a few cruddy days and then better, and better yet the next day. Now today, the guy seems frumpy again and they all still have some diarrhea mixed with normal poo. Does anyone have tips? We got excited when we saw that they were feeling better and let them run around for a bit. I wonder if that set them back?? Right now I have ACV in their water. Any other natural remedies that might get them back on track? I'm so worried.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Take the water with ACV and toss it. That will irritate their gut more. Make sure each chick is drinking plenty of the medicated water or drop a little into their beaks. Are you putting medicien into the water or giving it directly into their beaks? Make sure they have fresh medicated water daily, and keep the waterers are at shoulder height up on a board, so they don’t poop in the water. Keep their pine shavings bedding dry and clean. How old are the chicks now?

3. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    They are getting the meds by mouth. The vet wanted individualized doses. They don't have the medicated water but I will get rid of the ACV water. I just put in fresh water with Durastat (oregano, cinnamon, essential oils etc...) for sick chickens. They love it. They are about 4 and 5 weeks old.

Anna Ranieri likes this.
  4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Stop giving yogurt, stop giving Durastat and any other additives/supplements. Feed them chick starter only and only continue with the SMZ-TMP treatment as prescribed by your vet. Coccidiosis is a killer, you dont want to mess around with it.
    Once treatment is completed, mix buttermilk in their feed for a couple of days and give it to them to eat. Yogurt isnt absorbed as well as buttermilk and can cause diarrhea. Buttermilk coats intestinal lining helping to deter cocci infection, and is easily absorbed.

5. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    Should the buttermilk be given now or wait? How much?

6. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    I guess I should say why wait? Would it mess with the med absorption?

7. shaneensmith

shaneensmith Chirping

Nov 26, 2018
    Quesnel, BC
    I just had an infestation of Coccidiosis myself. NOT FUN!!! i will say its damn near impossible to keep their bedding clean...messy things i tell yah. I hang their water AND food. I have the water and food area seprate at each end of the brooder pen. And put a absorbent puppy training pad under the water and change that more often. I use less pine shavings since it has to be changed so often.

If i had know Coccidiosis was a usualy occurrence i would uave had medication on hand immediately or i would have absolutely fed medicated chick feed from the start. Shame on the woman who sold me the chicks who said they dont need anything raise them naturally. Yeah ok.

SIDE NOTE: are 7 month old chickens more resistent to Coccidiosis? My chicks and chickens are seprate.

the research ive been doing...apparently there really is no way to get away from Coccidiosis completely. It comes from ants. We have lots of ants here. Chickens eat ants. And apprently Coccidiosis can live on surfaces for a year or longer. And apparently chickens that had it and recovered are CARRIERS!!! So chances r you'll now have carriers in your flock. And chickens also eat eachothers poop....they are kinda gross. But i love them. So Coccidiosis spreads like wildfire in my opinion and I belive every single chicken owner should have Amporil on hand at all times.

I've learned my lesson. Lost two chicks.

rosemarysugar likes this.
  8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    When I give probiotics, I use them during and after treatment. I prefer plain Chobani Greek yogurt, since it has good cultures, and you can buy it in dollar sizes or the full size. Some of the store brands contain fillers and very little cultures. I only give about 1 tsp to an adult chicken, and more like 1/4 to 1/2 tsp to a chick. If you overdo yogurt or any dairy product, they may have more runny poops. Many use buttermilk, and you could mix a little into their feed if they are eating. Probios powder is also good to use.

rosemarysugar likes this.
  9. rosemarysugar

rosemarysugar Songster

Mar 1, 2018
    Meeker, Colorado
    Yeah, this bug is nasty for sure. I'm hoping we've
    I had no idea either. The place I got them was an all organic type deal but to heck with that. I'm all for living healthy only antibiotics when necessary but had I known, I also would've been more prepared. They also don't have their mareks vacc. I just figured I'd vaccinate when I picked them up, not knowing you can't do it after 1 or 2 days old. I didn't know I was getting 3 very sick chickens. I'm not real pleased. I feel a little taken.

I think it's most commonly seen in chicks up to 6 wks old but I'm sure the older ones get it too.

Seems like this bug really holds on tight. They have good days and then a bad day, good, icky. One of these days they'll hopefully kick the bug and get ready to join the big girls.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: