1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coccidiosis help with coop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by finestservice, Oct 30, 2013.

1. finestservice

finestservice Out Of The Brooder

Oct 5, 2013
    I've lost two chickens in the last two weeks to what appears to be Coccidiosis, I am treating with corid the rest of my flock seems fine I have changed bedding and raked out dirt run but it is not a covered run so it does get muddy at times. I have read about sanitizing coop with bleach and water but don't have anywhere else to keep chickens while letting air out for a couple days is there anything I can just spray on floor and wall? I have cleaned really good without soaking it down inside. and is there anything I should do for the run?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The main thing is to keep the coop and litter dry, the feeders and waterers free of droppings. Ammonia is better at cleaning coccidia, but nothing you can do will get rid of all of it. The chickens need to be exposed to it little by little to build up immunity. Here is some reading: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by