Coccidiosis in 2 week chicks

Curtisclan

In the Brooder
Feb 10, 2020
Ugh.. y’all in all my years of chickening I have never ever dealt with sick birds. Well now I’ve got about 15 chicks that I’m treating for coccidiosis. They’ve got bloody stools. Like mostly blood and I’m so afraid that not only am I going to lose every one of them but I’m also concerned about bringing any other chickens into my yard 😭😭. I guess this is what I get for buying chicks from a backyard breeder. I’ve started corid. 1 tsp in a gallon of water but some people are telling me I should double it for a severe outbreak. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Ugh.. y’all in all my years of chickening I have never ever dealt with sick birds. Well now I’ve got about 15 chicks that I’m treating for coccidiosis. They’ve got bloody stools. Like mostly blood and I’m so afraid that not only am I going to lose every one of them but I’m also concerned about bringing any other chickens into my yard 😭😭. I guess this is what I get for buying chicks from a backyard breeder. I’ve started corid. 1 tsp in a gallon of water but some people are telling me I should double it for a severe outbreak. Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
There is a lot of blood. One of the chicks is already very lethargic and hunched
How are your chicks?

YES! I would absolutely give the outbreak dose if you are seeing blood.
The chicks that are the weakest and need extra care likely will not be drinking very well either, so I would direct dose them with liquid Corid at 0.10 per pound of weight for 3 days (straight liquid Corid given orally).

The direct oral dosage is IN ADDITION to them drinking the Mixed Corid Water (2tsp Corid to 1 Gallon of water). They need to be encouraged to drink throughout the day. I would give the Corid water for 7 days.

Now. Tell me a little more about how you normally raise chicks. You've been at this for 15yrs. Do you usually hatch your own under a broody?
Coccidia is found in poop and soil - there are 9 strains. When chicks are exposed to Coccidia in their environment, they start to build resistance. Only if there is an overload do you see symptoms - wet bedding, poop gets in the water and they drink it, chicks eat poop (we all know they do!), etc. are some ways that they can become overloaded. Warm brooders also allow Coccidia to flourish as well too. If the chicks came from a different source than you normally use, they may have a different strain or they encountered a strain on your property that they have not yet had time to build resistance to.
Hopefully the Corid will take care of it and they will recover quickly.

1582662029308.png

How are your chicks?

YES! I would absolutely give the outbreak dose if you are seeing blood.
The chicks that are the weakest and need extra care likely will not be drinking very well either, so I would direct dose them with liquid Corid at 0.10 per pound of weight for 3 days (straight liquid Corid given orally).

The direct oral dosage is IN ADDITION to them drinking the Mixed Corid Water (2tsp Corid to 1 Gallon of water). They need to be encouraged to drink throughout the day. I would give the Corid water for 7 days.

Now. Tell me a little more about how you normally raise chicks. You've been at this for 15yrs. Do you usually hatch your own under a broody?
Coccidia is found in poop and soil - there are 9 strains. When chicks are exposed to Coccidia in their environment, they start to build resistance. Only if there is an overload do you see symptoms - wet bedding, poop gets in the water and they drink it, chicks eat poop (we all know they do!), etc. are some ways that they can become overloaded. Warm brooders also allow Coccidia to flourish as well too. If the chicks came from a different source than you normally use, they may have a different strain or they encountered a strain on your property that they have not yet had time to build resistance to.
Hopefully the Corid will take care of it and they will recover quickly.

View attachment 2035657
They are doing a little better today. I did lose two overnight and there are two more that look iffy. I have increased the dosage for severe outbreak. One is still very hunched and lethargic but has kinda perked up a little and is drinking but not eating much. The others are still pretty active and eating and drinking. I have 6 that are quarantined and are the worst. With another 10 that are on the moderate dose just in case. These chicks came from a backyard breeder. She says all her birds are fine but I have not given these chicks access to soil yet so I’m thinking it must have originated from her yard/ birds.
I have raised broody chicks before and have never had this problem. I’ve also ordered chick in the mail and bought from feed stores. This is the first time dealing with coccidiosis.
The thing I worry about with direct dosing is aspiration .. I’d hate to drown the little thing. Another thing is that I have chicks ready to go into the brooder( separate) should I go ahead and start them on a preventative dose or is medicated food enough

They are doing a little better today. I did lose two overnight and there are two more that look iffy. I have increased the dosage for severe outbreak. One is still very hunched and lethargic but has kinda perked up a little and is drinking but not eating much. The others are still pretty active and eating and drinking. I have 6 that are quarantined and are the worst. With another 10 that are on the moderate dose just in case. These chicks came from a backyard breeder. She says all her birds are fine but I have not given these chicks access to soil yet so I’m thinking it must have originated from her yard/ birds.
I have raised broody chicks before and have never had this problem. I’ve also ordered chick in the mail and bought from feed stores. This is the first time dealing with coccidiosis.
The thing I worry about with direct dosing is aspiration .. I’d hate to drown the little thing. Another thing is that I have chicks ready to go into the brooder( separate) should I go ahead and start them on a preventative dose or is medicated food enough
If I were going to give Corid, I would always use the severe outbreak dosage.

The ones that are not drinking/eating well. I would definitely push the Corid water on them. They need hydrated. Eating is secondary. You can even use some of the Corid water to make the feed a wet mash.
I understand the worry about aspiration. With small chicks it can be hard sometimes. I usually give them a drop at a time to the side of the beak, let that drop roll around the edge of the beak and they will take it in. Give them time to swallow. I also find it easier if I sit down at a table, let the chick stand on the table, they seem more comfortable than just being held in the hand.

How old are the other chicks that are ready to go in a brooder? If they are all active, eating/drinking then I don't treat.

Chicks do not have to be on soil to have an overload.

Back
Top Bottom