Coccidiosis in a chick. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Frizzlett98, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    We got some chicks last week and one of them has been showing signs of cocci for 2 or 3 days. I just gave her a drop of undiluted Corid in her mouth and some Corid in the water. She's around 7 weeks old. I should have treated her when I suspected it. Why I didn't? I have no clue except for it's been cold the past few days so I thought maybe she was puffed up because she's cold like some of my older chickens do. She would "unpuff" when she was walking around so I didn't think much of it. I think she's eating and drinking (she got a little excited for grass). She gets very active when I try to pick her up and put Corid in her mouth. She's my grandfather's chick so I don't want anything to happen to her. For some reason my grandfather wanted this little girl over everyone else. Never has he wanted his own chicken... until she came along. (How sweet lol) I don't know if I'd consider this severe or mild. She tries to sleep standing up. Somewhat lethargic but not as much as my older girl who had cocci a few months ago. Right now we're dealing with cocci and a respiratory thing in my older ones. So much medication going into their water! So... do you think she'll make it out of this? She's a Faverolle / Cochin cross (Partridge Cochin, so she's beautiful). She looks like a tiny bald eagle, so we named her Eagle. Just some additional, useless information lol.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    If your bird does in fact have Cocci you need to isolate her immediately from the rest of the flock.

3. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    She's been with 8 others that she's always lived with. I'm pretty sure my older ones have a touch of it too so it wouldn't do much good to isolate her. They're all being treated. All 20 something +4 baby ducks (only because the ducks share water with the younger chickens on days when it's warm enough for them to be outside, which isn't going to happen again for a while.)

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I don't know that I'd bother isolating her. If she has cocci the others do to, it's just a matter of whether or not they'll develop an overgrowth and go into full blown coccidiosis or if they'll fight it off. They are going to be exposed to it at some point. The easiest thing to do is simply treat them all with a round of Corid. It will control any potential overgrowth from happening and they will develop their own resistence.

As long as you continue the course of treatment this chick should recover just fine, provided the coccidiosis was not to far advanced before treatment was started and provided there is not some other problem going on as well.

If it's cold where you are it would be a good idea to offer additional warmth while she is recovering.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    After the Corid is finished, you will need to give some vitamins and probiotics in their water to replenish vitamins lost and bump up the beneficial gut bacteria. Also give some shredded kale for vitamin K.

6. Frizzlett98

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Thanks for the information everyone! It has been around 60 for the high and a low of 40. Supposed to be 55 today. Not too cold. They all seem to be doing just fine. I have a package of vitamins and electrolytes. No probiotics though. I'll look into that this weekend.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by