Coccidiosis in baby chicks? Help!

BrittersCritters

In the Brooder
Jun 11, 2017
Chicks acting off balance, help please! My bantam silkie and polish chicks are 12 days old, I incubated them myself (shipped eggs) and don't have any other birds nearby. About 3 days ago I found one in the middle of the night wheeling around in circles on its wing as his leg was paralyzed at the moment, toes on one leg curled in. Lasted about 3 minutes and back to normal. Found another doing the same thing a couple days ago for 5 min, back to normal. A third bird did this same thing today. I have not seen that first bird do that again, was only one time and only twice have I seen the second bird drag his wing around. They all are eating, playing, pooping, drinking and acting very normal. I can't figure out what's wrong and don't want to wake up to find them dead so I started treating for coccidiosis. 2 tsp (10ML) per gallon of water for 5-7 days. I'm still using the medicated chick feed unless I shouldn't? I've taken all other precautions with maintaining a clean brooder with a thermometer inside for the correct temp. What else could it be? Aren't they too young for Mareks? Also I tried oregano, apple cider vinegar and garlic which may or May not be helping (I removed the ACV when replying with corid today). PS they have not been vaccinated for anything. Please help!

It sounds like they are having seizures, if it were mareks, they would not become normal again, instead they would be getting worse. I would recommend consulting a vet

I will definitely consult a vet but meanwhile what would cause seizures? They're completely aware during the episode fully conscious (then again my small dog has seizures just like these chicks if thats what's going on). I hope treating them with corid was a good move, I can't find anything else online about what else it may possibly be.

sometimes, when chickens don't have enough natural light, it will cause them to have seizures
This could make sense! I have them in a bedroom inside my brooder with the red heat lamp all shades shut since I also incubate in this room. I can move them to another room with sunlight. Will this kill them or have hurt them the past week? I just didn't want the sun shining on them making them too hot, much easier to regulate brooder temp without that.

Thanks for the replies! Now I'm wondering if I made the wrong move replacing their water that I add duravex vitamins and electrolytes with the corid today. Think I should switch back to the vitamin water tonight? Also been giving them garlic mashed into Greek yogurt and sometimes add a little acv to the medicated water. Thoughts?

r u sure they just werent acting as if they were taking a dirt bath? without the dirt? i was first startled to see mine doing this when they were just 8 days old. i figured out later they were similating a dirt bath

r u sure they just werent acting as if they were taking a dirt bath? without the dirt? i was first startled to see mine doing this when they were just 8 days old. i figured out later they were similating a dirt bath
I actually searched videos of it because I first thought that especially since it was when I first added some sand to the brooder but no. So these episodes normally happen when I clean the brooder and stress them out. I try to pick them up and put them back on their feet and they stumble or take a nap in my hand totally exhausted from trying to get out of that temporary paralysis. It's crazy because the birds that are having these fits are my most active playful chicks always trying to jump around, play and fly. They definitely are struggling to try and get up when it happens :(

I actually searched videos of it because I first thought that especially since it was when I first added some sand to the brooder but no. So these episodes normally happen when I clean the brooder and stress them out. I try to pick them up and put them back on their feet and they stumble or take a nap in my hand totally exhausted from trying to get out of that temporary paralysis. It's crazy because the birds that are having these fits are my most active playful chicks always trying to jump around, play and fly. They definitely are struggling to try and get up when it happens :(
ok sorry about that. im new to this whole chicken thing but i wouldnt give corid unless a bird was looking really sickly and had blood in poo which one of mine did last week and bounced back after i treated her. i wouldnt stress their system out to much by giving acv and garlic. i would maybe put electrolytes and probiotics in water for a few days and give nothing else but fresh water and food. and make sure they r getting natural light as from what i read they need 15 hours of it. however, maybe the birds are suffering with some sort of neurological genetic thing. i had one that had a digestive genetic disorder and passed a week later. good luck w/ them

Back
Top Bottom