coccidiosis in chicks canada

Cutebutsassy1

Songster
Aug 13, 2020
So I bought 21 chicks from someone who didn't tell me they were pooping blood. I'm so mad to be honest but that's not going to solve anything. In Canada corid is extremely hard to find. However I did find this that ships in Canada. Attached picture. Please help. Anything I can do in the mean time? I can't afford a vet sadly please don't judge me I'm trying my best for being a single mother.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210526-113220.png
    Screenshot_20210526-113220.png
    223.3 KB · Views: 49
Go get some Amprolium from your vet - it should be really cheap and you should be able to get it without having to do a consult. Only like $15-20 (Canadian) to treat all your birds and it goes in their water. When I had a case of it (they can get it from the environment too), I just phoned and went to pick it up like you would at a pharmacy.

Cocci needs to be dealt with right away. You probably don't have the time to wait for shipping.

Last edited:
Feed them Oregano... lots of it. Mix it with grated carrots and rolled oats... maybe some hard boilded egg for additional nutrition. Try and get Corid (Amprolium) as soon as you can. Good luck for the little guys!

Go get some Amprolium from your vet - it should be really cheap and you should be able to get it without having to do a consult. Only like $15-20 (Canadian) to treat all your birds and it goes in their water. When I had a case of it (they can get it from the environment too), I just phoned and went to pick it up like you would at a pharmacy.

Cocci needs to be dealt with right away. You probably don't have the time to wait for shipping.
Thank you I'm going to call the local vet and see how that goes. I know I feel so awful for them :( if vet won't give out some then I will have no choice but to order it.

Thank you I'm going to call the local vet and see how that goes. I know I feel so awful for them :( if vet won't give out some then I will have no choice but to order it.

Try a couple of local vets if you the one you call can't help - someone should have it. You will just need to tell them the number of chickens and how big your waterer for them is (along with how often you change it, so they can estimate how much to give you).

Try a couple of local vets if you the one you call can't help - someone should have it. You will just need to tell them the number of chickens and how big your waterer for them is (along with how often you change it, so they can estimate how much to give you).
I have called four vets not one on my area has it or will sell it for chicks. Feel so defeated I don't want them to die who knows how long this has been going on.

I have called four vets not one on my area has it or will sell it for chicks. Feel so defeated I don't want them to die who knows how long this has been going on.

Do you have a large animal vet in the area? Small animals vets might not, but large animal vets will for sure as it's often used to treat other livestock. They should have it. I'm sorry this is difficult.

It's good to have it on hand for future batches of chicks as coccidiosis can be fairly common.

The next best thing to do is get on Facebook and find your local poultry page - someone there likely has some that they would be able to help you with! Where in Canada are you?

Being in Canada (I am too) have you tried calling UFA or Co-OP Agro stores? See if they have anything. I haven’t actually looked for cocci treatments so I am unsure if they actually sell it.

You will need to register for a PID (premises Identification) if your in Alberta in order to purchase. As for other provinces I am not sure if it is required.

Being in Canada (I am too) have you tried calling UFA or Co-OP Agro stores? See if they have anything. I haven’t actually looked for cocci treatments so I am unsure if they actually sell it.

You will need to register for a PID (premises Identification) if your in Alberta in order to purchase. As for other provinces I am not sure if it is required.

In Nova Scotia it's easy to get it via the vet without needing registration of any sort, but you bring up a good point that the local country co-op or farm store might be able to sell it (depending on the province). I only know how to acquire it in Nova Scotia.

I am in Ontario no one has it except vets an won't sell unless they test 21 chicks. I understand that but truly can't afford that 😓

Back
Top Bottom