Coccidiosis in chicks...dying...

emmyn74

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Spencer Indiana
I have a batch of 26 langshan chicks..about 7 weeks old....they started acting droopy Thursday and on Friday night I saw blood in the droppings..they are losing weight fast...i always give medicated feed but this time decided to try a new feed that was 18 percent starter (will never do that again)...i went sat morning to get 20 percent corid powder...mixed 1.5 tsp per gallon and started them on it....also got the medicated feed and started them on that....they appear to be eating still and drinking...the ones that aren't i am making them drink a few times a day...since Saturday I have lost 11 chicks...4 of them being this morning...is the corid not working for them???what else can I do? I cleaned their cages out and added on to them so they have even more room to spread out...changed all the bedding and am changing the corid every day....they seem to be acting a little better but they keep dying...help??!!

emmyn74

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Spencer Indiana
When coccidiosis inflames the intestines, bacteria form, creating a condition called necrotic enteritis. This is the source of the blood you see in the stools. When coccodosis reaches the stage of necrotic enteritis, a sulfa antibiotic is what's needed to try to save the chicks suffering from it.

You can order it here. https://www.jedds.com/shop/trimethoprinsulfa-100-g-medpet/

Can i give this along w the corid? Bc I have some of this already....

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
You do understand that Corid is not a medicine, as in an antibiotic. It only blocks thiamine uptake to deprive coccidia of nourishment so they die off.

emmyn74

Songster
Apr 2, 2017
Spencer Indiana
You do understand that Corid is not a medicine, as in an antibiotic. It only blocks thiamine uptake to deprive coccidia of nourishment so they die off.
Yes...i knew it wasn't an antibiotic...i just thought it was what treated coccidiosis...i have antibiotics...would it be better for me to use them? I have tylan...oxytetracycline..acidified copper sulfate...

azygous

Enabler
11 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Sulfa is the most effective against coccidiosis if you have it. If not, any broad spectrum antibiotic will do. Acidified copper sulfate treats sour crop, and isn't an antibiotic and useless for coccidiosis.

Top Bottom