coccidiosis in my flock?

Singlemaple

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
Merrimack NH
So just to give a visual i have 2 coops and 2 runs but there very close the runs they can see each other and if i didn't have super fine mesh over the chain link they would be able to stick there heads through and touch....

so now this past week on the 6Th i went out to take care of the baby chicks 4wks and 5wks ( I had been gone for 4 days and my oldest brother and dad where taking care of the young ones and the adults) i opened to the coop to notice 11 dead chicks in a nest box.... i was very startled by this and took the box out and ran inside to talk to my brother who was supposedly taking care of them when i was gone.
He told me that he counted everyone the night before and fed and watered them and didn't know what was going on.. we counted what we lost and wrote down the breeds and called up the hatchery to see if it was something on our part cause there coop was immaculately clean and fresh water and food and there coop was around 90 something degrees.. they called around and told us to treat the young ones for coccidiosis and that is what we are doing now the rest look perfectly healthy and don't look like we will have a problem with them anymore.

they are currently in the house in a cage ( mom and the rest of the family aren't to happy about that) and are getting sulmet solution in there water.

now what we are fighting with ourselves with right now is should we treat our older birds (they'll be a year old in july) this is the first time we have ever had chickens die other then with Fox's in the 5 years we have owned chickens...
we bought some corid incase we are going to treat the older flock cause we were told they where the 2 best ones to use ( being told sulmet was the best)

we currently have 56 adults in the big coop we are planning on selling 30 of the adults but now that we had this problem i don't think we can sell them right?
and then if we can sell them we can't till the 21 day treatment is up?

I'm just trying to wrap this all around in my head so i can explain it to my dad tomorrow..

can anyone help? try and shuffle through all this stuff i wrote really quickly and not in order...

thanks to anyone who can help!
Hanaah

Last edited:

Rhoise

Songster
8 Years
Apr 26, 2012
Boise, Idaho
I am not an expert but have read alot on this web site and have just gone through a cocccidia outbreak with my chicks. I treated with liquid corid(Amprolium 9.6%) in their drinking water(3/4 tspor 2.5 cc per quart chick waterer) or (10cc or 1 tablespoon/gallon) I treated the whole flock of chicks.

I think the adult birds you have should be exposed already and have built up a tolerance to the cooccidia and may not need to be treated, but it is still possible for them to get it if they've never had it or been outside. This bug is a protazoan organism, and usually effects chicks around 5-12 weeks old. Corid(amprolieum) is the same drug in medicated feed, only higher doses. I believe it is effective against several strains of coccidia where as the sumulet is only good against 1, not sure but i decided to use Corid. worked like a charm chicks are doing great and decided to give them probiotics after dosing with meds to help them recover and boost their digestive health.

not sure about selling and side effects of Sulmet?

Singlemaple

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
Merrimack NH
anyone else have an opinion?

i am planning to sell 30 adults in 2 weeks at a swap no one looks sick if they are on medication i don't think I'm allowed to sell even if its on preventive medicine right?

i really need to know what to do cause my older brother and dad are on one side saying treat just in case and the rest of the family (other then me ) are saying don't treat them...

Top Bottom