1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coccidiosis in new chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LucyGW, Mar 25, 2017.

1. LucyGW

LucyGW New Egg

Mar 25, 2017
    I hope someone can assist, I bought 8 chicks from a breeder and so far we have lost three to coccidiosis and another one now has blood in its poo. I have adult chickens moving around the cage we put them in during the day. Should I be putting medication in the adults water as a preventative, or is it too late? The breeder told me it wasnt contagious, so Ive only just found out differently.Help, I love my chickens and it would break my heart to lose more of them..

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I always feed medicated Chick starter....Your older birds are immune to the coccoid...It is deadly to Chicks....:(

Sorry that is happening...:(

Cheers!

3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi [​IMG] Welcome To BYC

If they have Cocci then you will need to treat them with Corid. This can be found at your local feed store in the cattle section.

Corid dosage for is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

Cocci is found everywhere in the soil, when there is an overload, this becomes a problem. Corid is a Thiamine blocker which helps reduce load so chicks can build a resistance and/or immunity to the strains you have.

Make sure they each chick is drinking well.

Your adults don't have to be treated, unless they are showing symptoms as well. They most likely have resistance/immunity already.

Keep us posted.

4. Izzychicky

Izzychicky Just Hatched

Mar 20, 2017
    I have heard that apple cider vinegar is supposed to help, you could put a teaspoon of that in their water. Hope I have helped

5. coach723

coach723 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2015
    North Florida
    Just wanted to give you a little more information on cocci and coccidiosis.......
    Cocci are not a virus, so not contagious in that fashion. They are more of a protozoan type organism, but they can spread through a flock quickly under the right circumstances. They spread like most parasites, when they are ingested. They are shed in the droppings of infected birds. So with chickens scratching and pecking, the spread can be rapid. Adult birds who have been exposed do build immunity. Having said that, there are about 8 different strains of cocci, some more virulent than others, and they build immunity to those they have been exposed to. So if you have cocci, and bring in new birds, they may be susceptible to the cocci you have. If you bring in new birds that are carrying a new strain, then your current birds are susceptible. And adult birds that are immune compromised in any way can become sick even from a strain previously exposed to. Chicks are extremely susceptible to cocci, and the cocci tend to thrive in warm, wet or damp conditions, which makes brooders a prime area.
    Cocci can survive in the soil indefinitely, there is really no way to eradicate them. Keeping your area as clean as you reasonably can, as dry as possible, and free of build up of droppings are the best prevention. Try to remedy areas that tend to stay wet or damp.
    Medicated chick feed can help prevent outbreaks in chicks, but it will not treat an actual outbreak. So with an outbreak you will need to treat.
    If you are using Corid (amprolium) then the treatment is pretty safe. For your older birds it's going to be a judgment call on your part. You can either go ahead and treat, or just wait and observe for signs of illness and then treat. I generally treat the entire flock when I have an outbreak. But either way, you need to make sure that the treated water is the only water the treated birds are getting.
    Having cocci is not a reason to panic, just a reason to learn as much as you can, be aware of the symptoms, and be observant of your birds to catch the onset as early as you can. And I always follow treatment with vitamins for a few days, after treatment is complete.
    On the encouragement front, I have cocci in my soil and have dealt with several outbreaks, but am in my third consecutive year without an outbreak now (knock on wood!), and have raised several batches of chicks, both brooder raised and broody hen raised during that time.
    Best of luck!

2 people like this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    In this particular instance, ACV will not help with a Cocci outbreak - they need Amprolium (Corid). Nothing needs to be added to the Corid water.

There's nothing wrong with giving ACV, if you choose, AFTER chicks/chickens have recovered from illness.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by