Coccidiosis, intestinal shed or something else?

Bananer86

Mother of Cluckers
May 25, 2021
Central Alabama
Good morning & tia for any help. Am I dealing with coccidiosis, intestinal shed, or something else?
I first noticed a little blood in my babies poo (5 week Sapphire Gems/6 week Ameraucanas all 7 roost together so I’m not sure who) on Saturday. I started my whole flock on Corid (2 tsp per gallon of water)
This morning I go out to feed & check on everyone & see some blood in poo from one of my 12 or 13 week olds (all 5 of them roost together)
All 12 have been on Corid since Saturday so now I’m not sure what I’m dealing with.
We’re in Alabama & have had lots of rain & humid weather, they all eat starter/grower crumble, a homemade fermented feed, forage & occasional treats.

edit to add
They are all acting normal, eating, drinking, scratching etc & all look fine. The bigger ones have had a little diarrhea during the day but I figured it’s from drinking more because it’s so hot. Their night & morning poop is normal aside from the blood in that 1 this morning

Attachments

• 923FA024-7B28-4D09-A5B1-5500BA841759.jpeg
    923FA024-7B28-4D09-A5B1-5500BA841759.jpeg
    667 KB · Views: 68
  • 3AE0C558-E7B8-474F-8CCE-ABB243D3EE1D.jpeg
    3AE0C558-E7B8-474F-8CCE-ABB243D3EE1D.jpeg
    569.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DCA54208-CE46-4AA8-9A88-696AC72E62C6.jpeg
    DCA54208-CE46-4AA8-9A88-696AC72E62C6.jpeg
    445.5 KB · Views: 28
I agree with the above statement. These are not coccidia poops. And yes, its possible they can all shed intestinal lining. Its really not uncommon to see.
Coccidia poops is often bloody/runny and or mucousy. Like stated above, it is a dark ruby red color, it looks like straight up blood. Along with that does come with symptoms of lethargy and being puffed with their wings hanging weakly. (Another thing to note, coccidia is a common issue amongst chicks and young birds, its not normally an issue among older birds.)But if you have already noted that they are acting fine, then more than likely they're okay. The poops you shared look fairly healthy in my opinion. Some have bits of cecal poop in them, which is also common.

If there's a health issue, the chickens will exhibit symptoms, just as kids do when they're sick. Normally talkative chickens will go mute. Normally active chickens will become lethargic, not interested in normal chicken activities. You can't help but notice.

If the intestinal shed continues or increases in amount, then you may be seeing infection that may require an antibiotic. So far, your chickens don't seem to be at that point. Continue the Corid, wait a week, and do a second round. This is safe for them even if they aren't experiencing coccidiosis. It's best to play it safe, as you are doing.

I don't see the blood in you photos. Blood is ruby red as opposed to intestinal shed which is a rust orange. Blood usually shows up as clots, not slender strings of tissue.

With coccidiosis, you will usually see at least one chicken with symptoms - lethargy, puffed up, stumbling, etc. Are any chicks acting sick?

I agree with the above statement. These are not coccidia poops. And yes, its possible they can all shed intestinal lining. Its really not uncommon to see.
Coccidia poops is often bloody/runny and or mucousy. Like stated above, it is a dark ruby red color, it looks like straight up blood. Along with that does come with symptoms of lethargy and being puffed with their wings hanging weakly. (Another thing to note, coccidia is a common issue amongst chicks and young birds, its not normally an issue among older birds.)But if you have already noted that they are acting fine, then more than likely they're okay. The poops you shared look fairly healthy in my opinion. Some have bits of cecal poop in them, which is also common.
Thank you both. I’m still new to chickens, the five- 12 & 13 week olds were our first, we got them May 1st so I’m still learning. I appreciate the help & support from all of you more experienced keepers 💕

Did you feed medicated feed early on? This type feed has a low dose of amprolium that allows the chicks to gradually develop resistance to their local coccidia without becoming sick.

Some of us give our new chicks a clump of sod from the yard to build this resistance. It's the same as a vaccine that has a tiny bit of the pathogen to expose the immune system to it in low, safe amounts in order to trigger an immune response.

Did you feed medicated feed early on? This type feed has a low dose of amprolium that allows the chicks to gradually develop resistance to their local coccidia without becoming sick.

Some of us give our new chicks a clump of sod from the yard to build this resistance. It's the same as a vaccine that has a tiny bit of the pathogen to expose the immune system to it in low, safe amounts in order to trigger an immune response.
Yes we used medicated feed before & during the transition to outside for the younger ones & medicated feed for the older ones when we moved. I also put a dust bath in the brooder with the Sapphires with dirt from the run. The Ameraucanas were 5 weeks when I got them & have just been integrated with the Sapphires. I gave them ACV in their water the first week but I’m not sure if they had medicated feed

Thank you. I guess I’m just nervous. We almost lost our dog last year & I feel like I didn’t catch his sickness early enough so I’m a little more hyper vigilant when it comes to our animals now

I don't see the blood in you photos. Blood is ruby red as opposed to intestinal shed which is a rust orange. Blood usually shows up as clots, not slender strings of tissue.

With coccidiosis, you will usually see at least one chicken with symptoms - lethargy, puffed up, stumbling, etc. Are any chicks acting sick?
No they are all acting fine, would multiple be going through intestinal shed at the same time? The older ones have had green diarrhea during the hottest part of the day but I’ve attributed that to drinking more water & all their grazing in the tractor.

Today’s poops from my 12 & 13 week olds (still on Corid 2 tsp per gallon of water) could all the rain & flooding we’re having + high humidity cause a problem?

they're all acting fine & free ranging right now

Attachments

• 026C94BD-010E-45AF-BB5C-71E558292CA8.jpeg
    026C94BD-010E-45AF-BB5C-71E558292CA8.jpeg
    609.1 KB · Views: 26
  • AED2B686-04C6-405D-8CE9-81D4DB209820.jpeg
    AED2B686-04C6-405D-8CE9-81D4DB209820.jpeg
    568.5 KB · Views: 21
  • E02EBBC1-1544-47FA-87C8-3E61107462C2.jpeg
    E02EBBC1-1544-47FA-87C8-3E61107462C2.jpeg
    883.4 KB · Views: 25

Back