Coccidiosis lead to wry neck..

ChickenLeg

Crowing
12 Years
Feb 15, 2012
Here is my journal entries for my Coccidiosis and wry neck emergency.

Please read and let me know if I'm doing anything wrong and if I need to change my strategy!

I know it's a long post, but please read and give me your advise or at least point me in a better dirrection if you know of one!

I need BYC's help!!!

Saturday:
Bantam wheaten ameraucana hen began twisted her neck.
I picked her up and she seemed extremely light.
I noticed her comb as well as a few others were pale.
Her earthy green poop was runny and had a large amount of white discharge.
I isolated her for now.

Later Saturday:
She began twisting her head around and upside down.
I then knew something major was to blame.
I began researching (I had a bad coccidiosis problem 2 years ago), after researching for a while I determined she had coccidiosis.
I went to the local feed store and they gave me Sulmet.

I picked her up at a show a month ago. I recalled she was an inside bird her whole life. I realized she probably had never been introduced slowly to the parasite such as young birds are when they enjoy a little free time outside their brooder until they are old enough to live outside.
Not only had she never been around coccidiosis, red mites just began an infestation in my breeder coops where she was being housed. I though the problem had been taken care of a month prior, but the little buggers came back for more.

Sunday:
She worsened.
I thought she'd be dead by the next morning, almost culled her that evening.

Sunday afternoon:
I realized she wasn't drinking any water, but was eating a little.
My girlfriend ran to the store and bought a baby medicine dropper.
We gave her her medication every hour or so.

Monday:
She was still isolated, sick, but the Sulmet seemed to maybe have helped some?
She was lighter than a feather by then.
We continued to give her medicine through the dropper, but her neck twisted more than before,
she could not stand without almost doing a back flip.

Tuesday:

I took off work, after a night of research.

It seemed Sulmet may work, but was also toxic to an extent. I couldn't allow her to suffer while being medicated,
so I called everyone around until I found some Corid 20miles away. Corid treats and prevents all 9 cocci strains, whereas Sulmet only treats 2.

I switched her medication (probably not the best idea, but she's barely living at this point so anything is better than what was aleady going on), I began treating her penmates as well as all other poultry on the grounds.
The more I read the worse I felt, it seems the lack of notice for her coccidiosis lead to a lack in vitamin e, which lead to wry neck. Now not only am I treating coccidiosis, but also wry neck.

I went to the feed store and bought Nutri-Drench & save-a-chick electrolytes, then I went to the human store and purchased vitamin e in an oil base form and selenium ( which helps the chicken absorb the vit. e).
A few drops of nutri-drench (she loved the taste, happiest I saw her in 3 days!), a few drops of vitamin e and she seemed to be feeling better within 30minutes. When I returned to check on her she was standing! No falling, STANDING!

I then I scrambled a bantam egg, mixed in water and crumble feed, a 1/3 of a selenium pill (the vit. e I dropped in her mouth earlier still needed this pill to absorb it in her system) and tried to feed her, but she wouldn't touch it... I was becoming upset, so I peacefully returned her to her cage and placed the food in front of her. I stepped back and she began to tear it up!

I have let her be since then though it's about time to give her some more diluted Corid through a dropper.

If all goes well tonight I'll continue this method and fix her up a fresh special meal every morning and evening for a few weeks or until she is doing better.

I'll bathe her for mites and give her a DE dust bath after she dries, but I might wait another day or 2, I don't want to stress her any more than I have to.

IF you have any comments please reply!

Any advise is welcomed and encouraged!

If I am doing something wrong in my method please inform me!!!! I want to save her not harm her!

If you've been through this please give me a update on your outcome!

If you know anyone who knows anything about coccidiosis leading to wry neck please ask them to help me.

I NEED YOUR HELP!!!!

If the the vitamins seem like they're helping, keep at it, but remember that she needs lots of fluids if she isn't drinking on her own. 3 ml per 100 grams every 6-8 hours is what I aim for. See the tube feeding link in my sig.

-Kathy

Thank you, I've actually looked at your links for advise these past few days. She won't drink on her own, but she does eat just a little throughout the day. She had her first solid poop this morning in a few days, I've also had to administer her water through a baby dropper these past 3 days. She doesn't seem any better today, I'll post again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Thank you, I've actually looked at your links for advise these past few days. She won't drink on her own, but she does eat just a little throughout the day. She had her first solid poop this morning in a few days, I've also had to administer her water through a baby dropper these past 3 days. She doesn't seem any better today, I'll post again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
She need fluids - Tube Feeding Videos and Information

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom