Coccidiosis or intestinal lining shed?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Willow Whispers, May 15, 2019 at 12:12 PM.

1. Willow Whispers

Willow Whispers Hatching

Wednesday
    My girls are about 8 weeks old now and this morning while cleaning the coop i found a stool with orange-ish goop in it. It looked normal aside from that but I was still concerned so I sat in the run for awhile and watched them, they all seem to be acting normal then one of them pooped another strange dropping this time it was dark with orange stringy lining in it. 20190515_094953.jpg

chickengr likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @Willow Whispers :frow Welcome To BYC
    It does look like intestinal shedding.
    You could go ahead treat with Corid to be on the safe side, it won't hurt them or wait to see if there are any more like that in the morning. If I found more, then I would treat.

Eggcessive and dawg53 like this.
  3. chickengr

chickengr Crowing

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    it looks normal to me too. I put some cayenne pepper in my chicks feed and some acv in their water from time to time to prevent cocci.

4. AmyJane725

AmyJane725 Songster

Feb 22, 2019
    Western WA
    I agree with the others. Intestinal lining is more orangey. Cocc poop is really bloody red looking. Do the chicks act healthy or do they have any symptoms other than the poop?

chickengr likes this.
  5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Wyorp Rock. It's shed intestinal lining. It's normal on occasion, but since another bird dropped another, I recommend that you get them started on Corid for 5 days. Dosage for the 9.6% liquid solution is 9.5cc's per gallon of water. Make it fresh daily and it must be their sole source of water to drink. Do not add anything else to the mixture. It can found in the cattle section at a feed store. Do not give them ACV nor cayenne pepper.
    639-amprolium_1.jpg

Eggcessive and Wyorp Rock like this.
  6. Willow Whispers

Willow Whispers Hatching

Wednesday
    Thank you all, I have been observing them for a couple days and have found no more worrisome droppings and thier behavior is still normal. I went ahead and bought some medicated feed anyway just to help prevent it from becoming a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: