Coccidiosis or intestinal shed

WendyUK

Hatching
Dec 11, 2018
I'm a fairly new chick mum but I've been reading on here lots of info. I have four 10 month olds (2 golden sex links, a black sex link, and a wyandotte). Today I found this poop in their house when I let them out. Does it look like coccidiosis or intestinal lining shed to you wonderful people? I walked around the yard and found the 2nd one a bit later. Should i be rushing out to buy Corid? It's been freezing the last 2 nights so thought that it froze the germ?
Thanks for any insight

thumbnail

thumbnail

It does look like lining, but there is an awful lot of it, the first picture is redder than I would be happy with. Any possibility they ate some berries (I know it's winter, but had to ask)? If any are acting off at all, lethargic, sitting fluffed up, not eating or drinking well, I would go ahead and treat for coccidiosis. If they are acting normally, then I would watch for any changes, and if you have a vet that can do a fecal test for you I would get that done, that will check for coccidia and other internal parasites. Sometimes a load of worms will cause a lot of lining shed also. If they start to show any symptoms or it gets worse, I'd go ahead and treat.

Depends on where you are in the world. In the US they are readily available, I'd use either Valbazen or Safeguard liquid goat wormer. If you are somewhere else you may have to get it from a vet. Putting your general location in your profile helps with questions like that (you don't have to be real specific, just a general location).

You will probably need to buy Harkers Coxoid for amprollium or Corid in the UK. Flubenvet is a good wormer available to you there, and it is used in the feed for a number of days. If you cannot find the Coxoid, then try to get amprol (amprollium) from a vet. I think the droppings have a good deal of bloody gel, so I wouldn’t wait long to treat.

Sorry, I copy/pasted. Let me try uploading

Attachments

• 18304722-4C22-4379-AE53-1BA1D40AE5A6.jpeg
    18304722-4C22-4379-AE53-1BA1D40AE5A6.jpeg
    597.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 26E83A9C-003F-4CAF-B568-A639766073EC.jpeg
    26E83A9C-003F-4CAF-B568-A639766073EC.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 46
I'm a fairly new chick mum but I've been reading on here lots of info. I have four 10 month olds (2 golden sex links, a black sex link, and a wyandotte). Today I found this poop in their house when I let them out. Does it look like coccidiosis or intestinal lining shed to you wonderful people? I walked around the yard and found the 2nd one a bit later. Should i be rushing out to buy Corid? It's been freezing the last 2 nights so thought that it froze the germ?
Thanks for any insight

thumbnail

thumbnail
@WendyUK how long have you had these pullets?

Back
Top Bottom