Coccidiosis or just intestinal lining?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alessadry, Mar 18, 2017.

1. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Yesterday, found this mushy poop with a some red in it, and wondering if I should worry? My chicks seem to get a bit of mushier poop when we change their bedding, I guess they get stressed being moved every day.

This poop below was found yesterday and chicks are now almost 2 weeks old. The poop picture below that was a poop with a little bit of blood seen when the chicks were 5 days old. When I saw it at 5 days, I assumed it was nothing major, just lining, since they were all happy and healthy. Only one chick died like 3 days later in the early morning but we couldn't figure out why as it was healthy the night before.

Still today, despite this poop, they look happy and healthy so guess it's still lining but it is more evident because they got bigger and their poop is bigger?

Anyhow, they are on non-medicated organic feed and we haven't given grit yet. I read somewhere that it helps to prevent coccidia to give a little dirt with grass. I live in the desert southwest, and more than dirt we have sand and in lieu of grass we we have these tough grasses that might perhaps harm them if they ingest it since they don't get grit yet. What should we do?

Also, Monday plan on getting probiotics for them, grit and maybe just Amprolium to keep on hand in case of emergency since we live far out and go to town only once a week. Any tips to prevent coccidia? and should I be concerned?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    As long as they are acting fine, I don't think you have any worries. You can give them some of your "soil". Have you considered fermented feed? That gives their guts a huge boost of probiotics, as well as lots of other benefits. There is a FAQ article at the bottom of my signature.

3. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Lazy Gardener, yes after reading the article you suggested I started giving fermented twice a day, morning and evening. Thanks so much! I leave it out for 20 minutes each time. After being a bit suspicious now they are loving it! I will then try to give the "soil".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by