Coccidiosis or Kidney issue?

Away2me

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 10, 2014
Hemet, CA
Our favorite, best laying hen (40 weeks) has runny/watery poo and is not eating well this morning. She's standing alone and has that dull look they get when they are sick. She pecked a bit and drank a bit, but she's not right at all!

I would like to treat for Coccidiosis, however, my son fed them pomegranate seeds yesterday and I'm wondering if she got too many as she is the friendliest and boldest. If I treat for Coccidiosis and it's a kidney issue from the acidic pomegranate seeds will that tax her system too much? How long do you wait?

Our favorite, best laying hen (40 weeks) has runny/watery poo and is not eating well this morning. She's standing alone and has that dull look they get when they are sick. She pecked a bit and drank a bit, but she's not right at all!

I would like to treat for Coccidiosis, however, my son fed them pomegranate seeds yesterday and I'm wondering if she got too many as she is the friendliest and boldest. If I treat for Coccidiosis and it's a kidney issue from the acidic pomegranate seeds will that tax her system too much? How long do you wait?
Corid is very safe, so if you think she might have coccidiosis, treat her. Here is a dosing chart:

Most people on BYC treat for a severe outbreak, so that's what I would do if I were you.

-Kathy

I'll hold off on the electrolytes. I think we caught things early. I treated their water this morning and we'll hold off on table scraps till we see her acting more normal. She was sunbathing and scratching/pecking a bit ago, so she'll probably be fine. She's such a nice bird.

Thank you so much for the help

My girl's comb is floppy. Just the day before it was bright red and stiff. She's only 8 months old and just started laying consistently. I really hate to loose her.

Does this go hand in hand with just feeling bad from the coccidia?

Back
Top Bottom