Coccidiosis or something else?

cheeri

Chirping
Sep 3, 2019
Hey, my dad hatched these new baby chicks 6-7 weeks ago and recently placed them outside....4-5 days ago.

They usually run up to my hand or run around their cage, but this one little chick started laying around.
Sometimes I find her sitting in the sun or in the shade. She doesn't walk very much. Her wings is always droopy too?
She also gets trampled over a lot by her other friends.

All of it is starting to worry me if she has coccidiosis, but I'm not sure.

Update:
One of the little chick pooped and there's blood?

Last edited:
Hey, my dad hatched these new baby chicks 6-7 weeks ago and recently placed them outside....4-5 days ago.

They usually run up to my hand or run around their cage, but this one little chick started laying around.
Sometimes I find her sitting in the sun or in the shade. She doesn't walk very much. Her wings is always droopy too?
She also gets trampled over a lot by her other friends.

All of it is starting to worry me if she has coccidiosis, but I'm not sure.
Hi @cheeri :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your chick and it's poop?

What do you feed your chicks?
Have you checked out her legs and feet to see if there are any injuries?

It very well could be Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid on hand or can you get some Corid at Tractor Supply? (it's in the cattle section)
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

I will!
I forgot to mention I got Corid this morning and started the treatment!
I hope the chicks will be alright! ;o;

I also have another issue with one of my dad's chick. I'm not home atm so I can't take a picture to show you guys.

But this chick, his neck is twisted or something.
Do I continue on here or do I start a new post about it?
Glad you were able to get the Corid started!

Yes, you can continue here with the other chick if you wish.
Is this chick in the same group? I would give it some Vitamin E (400IU Daily).

Hello!
My dad feed them Meat Maker and started to put a little mix of corn with it.
My dad also checked her leg and she's limping on her right leg. I think it happened when I was holding her to check if she was alright. She jumped off my hand so, I think that was the cause.

Here are the pictures. The bloody poop came from the tiny black chick.
View attachment 1898286 View attachment 1898287 View attachment 1898288View attachment 1898305
Tell him to stop mixing corn in with the feed.
You wry neck bird might be picking out just the corn to eat and may not be getting a balanced diet... Which can lead to wry neck.

Since the second chick is a silkie, they are more prone to this. It could be from injury, they are more prone to head injuries due to their vaulted skulls. The poster who mentioned prednisone may have had that issue. When silkies get what is called 'water on the brain' then antibiotics and anti-inflammatories are the treatment and it can take weeks, if that's what it is. You will likely need the help of a vet if that is the issue, in order to get the appropriate medications.
More info on that in this article:
https://poultrykeeper.com/blog/diseases-common-to-silkies/
Will the vitamin E 400 IU help?
Which brand do you recommend? Can chicks eat vitamin E for humans?
Vitamin E is vitamin E, no matter whom it's labeled for. Human ones are the easiest to find with it isolated, brand is not important really, they all have to meet standards for humans. I would try this to see if you get improvement. If one has a deficiency, then it could be the same for the other. I agree with not mixing in the corn with the feed. Corn is like crack for chickens, they love it and will leave everything else when given the choice. It should be an occasional treat only. If you don't see any improvement with supplementing, then if vet care is an option for you, that would be best.

I would do as @Wyorp Rock suggested and get some Corid and treat for coccidiosis. Treat them all. The treatment is very safe and won't hurt them even if it turned out to be something else. Coccidiosis is very common in chicks and young birds, and can be fatal quickly if not treated.

I will!
I forgot to mention I got Corid this morning and started the treatment!
I hope the chicks will be alright! ;o;

I also have another issue with one of my dad's chick. I'm not home atm so I can't take a picture to show you guys.

But this chick, his neck is twisted or something.
Do I continue on here or do I start a new post about it?

This chick is from a different flock.
He neck was normal, but he tripped and fell from his cage. It was about 7-8 inch from the ground. Then the next day his neck twisted.
We saw him standing or sitting by himself in the corner.
We thought he got hurt because he fell.

And thank you so much for helping me with the first issue!

View attachment 1899275 View attachment 1899276 View attachment 1899277
Ahhh the dreaded wry neck. I’ve had a great deal of luck with prednisone. But a vet needs to prescribe. It is a long hard road but as I understand they usually recover as long as they are helped to eat and drink if need be. Someone else may have some better info. My bird took five weeks to even walk again but fully recovered. I didn’t think it was possible. Couldn’t even walk.

Hi @cheeri :frow Welcome To BYC
Can you post some photos of your chick and it's poop?

What do you feed your chicks?
Have you checked out her legs and feet to see if there are any injuries?

It very well could be Coccidiosis. Do you have any Corid on hand or can you get some Corid at Tractor Supply? (it's in the cattle section)
Dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water. Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.[/QUOTE

Hello!
My dad feed them Meat Maker and started to put a little mix of corn with it.
My dad also checked her leg and she's limping on her right leg. I think it happened when I was holding her to check if she was alright. She jumped off my hand so, I think that was the cause.

Here are the pictures. The bloody poop came from the tiny black chick.
20190903_193247.jpg
20190904_090950.jpg
20190904_090958.jpg
20190904_091003.jpg

Last edited:
Glad you were able to get the Corid started!

Yes, you can continue here with the other chick if you wish.
Is this chick in the same group? I would give it some Vitamin E (400IU Daily).

This chick is from a different flock.
He neck was normal, but he tripped and fell from his cage. It was about 7-8 inch from the ground. Then the next day his neck twisted.
We saw him standing or sitting by himself in the corner.
We thought he got hurt because he fell.

And thank you so much for helping me with the first issue!

20190905_112853.jpg
20190905_112918.jpg
Screenshot_20190905-112655_Video Player.jpg

Back
Top Bottom