We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Coccidiosis or worms- pics included.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Henriettamom919, Jul 21, 2019.

1. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Hi all,

Sorry I've not been on much, hubby started a new job and with the kidlets out of school I've not had much free time.

We've have heavy rain, heat and humidity all through June and July and five days ago I noticed some bloody poo where my 14 week pullets had been napping in our garage. My immediate thought was coccidiosis given the damp, warm conditions and we've had lots of wild birdsdue to all the grass seed and berries in season. I've had them on corid for three days and this is last night's/ early morning droppings. Should they still have this much bloody mucous in their stool?

My next thought was worms but I've broken open all their poo and found one bit of something that *might* have been worm segment? Any thoughts?

20190721_110637.jpg

Texas Kiki likes this.
  2. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    Could be coccidiosis or lead poisoning, but the more likely cause is a sloughing off of the intestinal lining. The orange (red) strands or particles are often mistaken for blood. This is entirely normal to find in the droppings occasionally, and particularly in the morning on their poop board (or under their roost), as it's often shed while they're sleeping. The following link is to a website with GRAPHIC images of chicken poop, what's normal, what's not... https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2016/03/all-about-chicken-poop-brown-black-and.html

3. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Hi! Been missing you! Congrats on your husbands new job, hope he likes it...I don't like mine. Especially after last week. Anyway, in my opinion it looks like coccidiosis. But I'm not the expert on chicken poop here. @Wyorp Rock @Texas Kiki what do you guys think? Coccidiosis or worms?

Texas Kiki and Henriettamom919 like this.
  4. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I'll check out the site but this has been ongoing for about five days and is in all their droppings all day, worse in the mornings but ever present :( We don't have anything with lead paint around and no other source I can think of so I guess that's good.

Texas Kiki and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  5. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    Your poor girls, I hope you can find out what's wrong. :fl

Texas Kiki likes this.
  6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Thank you :hugs I've missed you, too! I'm sorry work hasn't been going well! I hope you can find something you *love* doing!

As far as my littles, they seem fine. You'd never know they were ill; they're eating and drinking, they enjoyed a watermelon slice yesterday and are as funny as mischievous as always which is partly what confused me so much :confused: They day I noticed the blood about four days ago they were a little less active but it dumped rain ALL.DAY.LONG. Didn't seem odd they chose to nap and bathe with the weather all wet and windy.

RhodeIslandRed5 likes this.
  7. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    I would continue the Corid and deworm them all if I were you.

8. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Okay, I've got Valbazen on hand- is it safe to do both at the same time or should I wait until they've finished up the Corid treatment?

Texas Kiki and RhodeIslandRed5 like this.
  9. RhodeIslandRed5

RhodeIslandRed5 Songster

May 28, 2019
    East Texas
    I envy that rain. No rain here for about two weeks or more. My poor garden is suffering.

10. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    Yes it's safe to use both at the same time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: