Coccidiosis or worms??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Troubadour05, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Troubadour05

Troubadour05 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    [​IMG]
    One of my roosters has not been himself lately. He is eating and drinking slowly but just sort of slowly ambles around all puffed up and disheveled looking. I've been keeping an eye on him and notices he has been having foamy yellow poops. I tried to look up the cause and treatment for what could be the problem and came up with a few things.
    I've seen that it could be a sign of coccidiosis, but another page also said that coccidiosis always presents with bloody poops which his are not. 
    And blackhead is another possibility, though coccidiosis and blackhead have two different treatments. 
    I've seen that it could be worms, though I have not seen any worms in the poop, so I am not sure what kind if there are any so I am not sure how to go foward and treat him.

Anyone have any ideas or input?

No one else in the flock seems sick, they are all eating and drinking. The rooster in question is a couple months over a year old. 

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Coccidiosis does NOT always present itself with bloody feces. I recommend that you get him started on Corid.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Looks like protozoa poop to me, so my guess would be coccidiosis or blackhead.

-Kathy

Last edited: Mar 12, 2015
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I would treat for a severe outbreak of coccidiosis with Corid. Here is a picture that shows the dosing info:
    [​IMG]

-Kathy

5. cbdiann

cbdiann Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2013
    I just lost my hen (almost 2 yrs old) this morning and I still don't know what happened to her. It played out over a three week period. She started out just standing still and puffed up and over time moved slower and slower and had runny poops varying in green, yellow and brown, but watery and bubbly. I did treat her with Corid, but did not do the severe dose - so try that maybe it would have made a difference for her. It hit the point where she lost her ability to stand or walk before we finally chose to put her down. It was horrible. The other sign was she stopped eating, but continued to drink until the second to last day.

6. Troubadour05

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    Thank you everyone, I am off to buy some Corid, I appreciate the help!

1 person likes this.
  7. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Don't beat yourself up, there are so many things it could have been. Almost all illness will present as you your hen did. [​IMG]

-Kathy

1 person likes this.
  8. Troubadour05

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    I'm sorry about your henny [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. Troubadour05

Oct 13, 2014
    Greenfield, NH
    Well unfortunately he passed away last night :( there were fresh poops this morning that looked like his so I'm still treating the entire flock

10. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by