Coccidiosis or ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Matzwd, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    I have 19 ten-week-old chicks who first began showing signs of coccidiosis two days ago, with two chicks seeming unwell, standing with eyes closed, not as active. I was also seeing lots of yellowish runny poops from random chicks and perhaps a hint of blood in a couple on close inspection. I began Corid powder 1.5 tsp per gallon that afternoon (Friday). They looked the same all day yesterday, but I noticed one of the two sicker chicks had a large, watery feeling crop but was eating and drinking. The other sick acting chick was more lethargic than before. I mixed up a concentrated dose for both yesterday evening and administered that. This morning, they still dont look any better, and I have another chick seeming to slow down. So today, I added Corid water to feed as well to make a mash.

I know it can take a couple of days for them to start showing improvement on Corid, but how long should I give them before deciding it's not doing anything and start treating with an antibiotic instead for some other form of enteritis or something?

Oh, and it has been rainy, warm, etc. here lately in Missouri, prime coccidia weather.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Can you post some photos of chicks and their poop please?

Sequel and casportpony like this.
  3. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    Im glad you asked, otherwise I would not have put them where I could see poops better. Pics 1 and 2 are the worst I've seen. I am seeing plenty of blood this morning. The first poo is from the sebright, one of the sick chicks. The second is from an asymptomatic chick.
    20190609_085013.jpg
    20190609_085612.jpg
    Here is yellowish poo without blood:
    20190609_085119.jpg
    Milky poo:
    20190609_090625.jpg
    Mostly normal poo:
    20190609_090813.jpg
    Sebright, sickest chick:
    20190609_084543.jpg
    Next sickest chick, Ameraucana:
    20190609_084755.jpg
    Showing slight lethargy today, Mille Fleur D'uccle:
    20190609_085131.jpg

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    What are you feeding them?
    That poop is still bloody after 2 days on Corid? Can you take some samples to your vet tomorrow for testing to make sure there isn't infection in addition to a Coccidiosis overload?

Nothing else in the water except for Corid and that is the only source of drinking water correct?

Direct drench in addition to the Corid water to drink is to mix 1/2 teaspoon Corid powder with 2 teaspoons water. Give 0.34 ml per pound of weight orally once a day for 1-3 days.

5. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    Purina medicated starter.
    I'm certainly going to try if it's no better by morning. Do you think I should start Tylan or Fish Mox?
    Not just still bloody, but more bloody. I wasn't even sure I saw any blood when I started. I was going more by behavior and yellow poops.

Correct, nothing else in water and no other sources of water.
    Exactly what I did for Sebright and Ameraucana yesterday evening.

SurferchickinSB likes this.
  6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can also add some of the Corid water to a small amount of feed to get more into them. Some strains of coccidia can be resistant to Corid. If you can take in some droppings or a sick chick, they can do some testing for enteritis, or they may start a sulfa antibiotic for a resistant strain of coccidia.

7. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    I added Corid water to a bowl of feed this morning. They do like mash.

8. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    Is there some other medication I can try for resistant coccidia? Is there an OTC sulfa drug that could work? I just don't want to lose any of my babies before I can get meds.

Sequel likes this.
  9. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    You probably need to seek vet care to get sulfa drugs.
    With the poop being even more bloody than it originally was, that is concerning. Enteritis in addition did cross my mind, but it's best to have the vet do some testing.

10. Matzwd

Matzwd Songster

Apr 9, 2018
    St Louis, Missouri
    I did just give them all a concentrated dose of Corid. I will call the vet tomorrow to see what he says, but I won't be able to take them there because I'm supposed to be at work from 8-8 and am already taking off a partial day to take my son for wisdom teeth extraction.

Sequel likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: