Coccidiosis or ??

Pics
Instructions are on the bottle. To mix in drinking water it's 1oz. per gallon of water.
If direct dosing a bird, I use it at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight.
Thanks. I got the bottle a few weeks ago and direct dosed the flock per the instructions after the tylan and corid treatments but wanted to know if practical usage doses differed.

I had 2 hens with a small amount of vent discharge but that’s cleared up. I think the yogurt and FF helped. I did give the vitamins per suggested. I also put some in the mash the other day.

I still have a few hens with plaque in the mouth so dosing them with tylan. Seems to be getting better. And overall the flock is much better.

@Wyorp Rock
Here is poo as of this evening. Samples are from different birds. No visible blood. Most are the yellow stinky ones, and a few are half good solid stool and half yucky yellow goo. The chicks are all active and outwardly healthy looking now. I will pick up the Poultry Cell for when we are finished with Corid, but it seems like we will need more than a typical course. They are on day 4 of 1/3 tsp/gal powder. Do you think we should stay at this dose for a bit to encourage increased tolerance to the nasties or reverr back to the full strength? We are a total of 11 days in on treatment.
20190619_180227.jpg

20190619_180002.jpg

20190619_175604.jpg

20190619_180721.jpg

20190619_180456.jpg

20190619_183148.jpg

Last edited:
@Wyorp Rock
Here is poo as of this evening. Samples are from different birds. No visible blood. Most are the yellow stinky ones, and a few are half good solid stool and half yucky yellow goo. The chicks are all active and outwardly healthy looking now. I will pick up the Poultry Cell for when we are finished with Corid, but it seems like we will need more than a typical course. They are on day 4 of 1/3 tsp/gal powder. Do you think we should stay at this dose for a bit to encourage increased tolerance to the nasties or reverr back to the full strength? We are a total of 11 days in on treatment.
View attachment 1819116
View attachment 1819119
View attachment 1819120
View attachment 1819124
View attachment 1819130
That looks like Cecal poop. Chickens have 2 types of poop - one is the normal formed poop with the white cap and the other is Cecal. Cecal is stinky, sticky, loose, pudding like and comes in a variety of colors. A chicken poops a Cecal poop about 1 out of every 8-10 "normal" poops.

Taking a mixture of samples for testing is always a good idea, but if they are happy, active, eating/drinking well then I would just finish the 7 day course of the 1/3tsp, then start with the vitamins.

That looks like Cecal poop. Chickens have 2 types of poop - one is the normal formed poop with the white cap and the other is Cecal. Cecal is stinky, sticky, loose, pudding like and comes in a variety of colors. A chicken poops a Cecal poop about 1 out of every 8-10 "normal" poops.

Taking a mixture of samples for testing is always a good idea, but if they are happy, active, eating/drinking well then I would just finish the 7 day course of the 1/3tsp, then start with the vitamins.
Ok. I just felt like there was a lot for it to be cecal. They were all doing it at the same time then. I'll just finish up treatment and see how it goes. Thanks for analyzing poo for me!

I have 19 ten-week-old chicks who first began showing signs of coccidiosis two days ago, with two chicks seeming unwell, standing with eyes closed, not as active. I was also seeing lots of yellowish runny poops from random chicks and perhaps a hint of blood in a couple on close inspection. I began Corid powder 1.5 tsp per gallon that afternoon (Friday). They looked the same all day yesterday, but I noticed one of the two sicker chicks had a large, watery feeling crop but was eating and drinking. The other sick acting chick was more lethargic than before. I mixed up a concentrated dose for both yesterday evening and administered that. This morning, they still dont look any better, and I have another chick seeming to slow down. So today, I added Corid water to feed as well to make a mash.

I know it can take a couple of days for them to start showing improvement on Corid, but how long should I give them before deciding it's not doing anything and start treating with an antibiotic instead for some other form of enteritis or something?

Oh, and it has been rainy, warm, etc. here lately in Missouri, prime coccidia weather.

Back
Top Bottom