coccidiosis outbreak, treated yet chickens still becoming ill

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by story of 5, Dec 26, 2013.

1. story of 5

story of 5 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2013
    A week ago my 12 week old chicks became infected with coccidiosis, i lost half of my babys, but the remaining chicks seem to be getting better as the days go by. Here's my new problem. My older hens seem to be getting sick, even worst, i've treated them for coccidiosis as well. My one hen is doing pretty ruff. Her head is hung low, tail feathers down, she is very depressed, Iand she's not getting around much. I don't think that it's coccidiosis because they have been going through the treatment just as the chicks have, which treatment has almost been a week. They are kept completely seperate, and i have been really big on bio-secutity this week so i am confused on why she is so ill. My other hen is sorta sick as well. Not as bad. But i knew something was wrong when i opened my coop for them to roam, and they stayed up in the coop instead. It's been pretty cold here, so my initial thought was that they were chilled so i seperated them and put them in a shed with a heat lamp and heat, but they haven't peked up any. Please help!!!! I've already lost four chicks in an absalutely horrible way, I don't want to have to go threw this with my hens as well. Does any one have any suggestions on what could be going on.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    What coccidiostat did you use and what was the dose and for how long did you treat them for?

3. story of 5

Mar 4, 2013
    Sulfadimethoxine is the name of the medicine i have been using. I just started their treatment on friday, and was plainning on today being their last dosage as it doesn't actually seem to say when to withdraw the treatment. It just says discontinue treatment if symptoms don't improve in 5 days. It is a powder salution and they have been getting 1/2 tsp per gallon of water since friday, which will now be 7 days.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Sulfadimethoxine may cause diarrhea to become more severe during treatment,is this an issue? If no improvement,you may want to consider changing coccidiostats. Amprolium targets 9 species of coccidiosis,i cannot remember how many di-methox targets,but i know it is not 9.

Treatment is finished give vitamins for at least 3 days.

McMurray hatchery lists sulfadimethoxine (soluble powder,107gr(3.77oz)pkg) doses as: Severe outbreak - 2 tsp per 1 1/2 gallons, Normal outbreak - 1 tsp per 1 1/2 gallons, Preventative dose - 1/2 tsp per 1 1/2 gallons(click on image of package,doses are listed)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  5. story of 5

Mar 4, 2013
    I was giving my un sick chickens the 1/2 tsp remedy, and the sick chicks, i would sprinkle a lil extra in their water as a personal good call. They all were getting better. I'm going to farm store today to get vitamens wormers you name it. I'm gonna do all i can to tackle this junk. The older hens have shown no signs of illness until yesterday, and there is no diarria or instances just deprressed actions. Have to admit been a stressful situation over here, but gonna do what i can, and see if i cannot nip this crap in the butt! I also put everyone on medicated feed so they would possibly re up their immune system during this outbreak, don't know if it has helped any, but figured it can't possibly hurt either. Thanks for your help. While looking up stuff last night i found that mcmurry hatchery had that posted for the medicine i was using, and i also saw that it said not to use in chickens over 16 weeks of age. It does not say this on the package, however, i am starting to wonder if the medicine itself is making the hens sick. I am withdrawing treatment today, will start them on vitamens, then worm them and basically. just gonna have to play everything by ear until things get back to normal. Any extra advice will still be appreciated while i am on this journey of chicken illness, not a fun one, but i have to deal with it anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by