Coccidiosis? Poop pics included

Thanks for the reply. They are just over one week old. They are tired (I just brought them home today). They were fussing and protesting when I checked their heineys, so they aren't totally subdued. I keep checking on them in hopes they'll be eating, drinking, or playing.

Thanks again.

SInce I started this thread, I'm going to jack it and ask you a common question: How do you keep your Australorp rooster away from the hens you don't want bred? I keep meaning to ask someone....and now I will!
wink.png
Does he mix with everyone all the time? I'm asking because I'm about to have an Araucana rooster but only two Araucana pullets.

Last edited:
Quote:
My chickens free range and are locked up in the evening, also locked up when we go somewhere. When I first let them out in the mornings, Sarge mates with one or two hens, no favorites in particular. He then spends the rest of the day doing his job watching for predators, particularly birds of prey. He calls and herds the hens into the pen in the evenings. He is the first one in their house and calls them in to go to roost. He's definitely the best rooster I've ever owned, he's about a year and a half old. I let Sarge do what he wants, he doesnt mess with the pullets neither..I let them free range as well, but he keeps a sharp eye on them.
It's normally recommended 1 rooster per 10 hens. I recommend that you get some more pullets. The rooster will continually mate with the two young hens and possibly injure them. You could also purchase chicken saddles/aprons for them.

Thanks. Hmmm. I'll have 10 hens total. But of course that could make for some interesting crosses. Buckeye/Araucana, anyone?

Back
Top Bottom