Coccidiosis Prevention in baby chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Madiha Farhan, Oct 2, 2016.

1. Madiha Farhan

Madiha Farhan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Hello all.. I've some baby chicks 2 weeks old, vaccinated them against ND. Cocciodiosis Vaccine not available nearby.. 2 of them have Cocciodiosis.. I see some blood in their droppings. What to do.. They are too cute and I really love them dont want to loose them at any cost.. plz suggest something..

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

What other symptoms are you seeing and are you certain it is Cocci? I would expect to be seeing lots of lethargy, swollen eyes, and sudden death if it is. Cocci moves fast and sadly, by the time you see bloody droppings it is often too late.

If you are sure it is Cocci, then you need to put them on Corid (Amprolium). It's sold for use in calves but is effective off label for chicks. You can typically find it as a 9.6% liquid solution designed for mixing with drinking water. Dosage is 1tsp per gallon. Mix it fresh daily and keep it up for 10 days. For future prevention, use a medicated starter feed for chicks under 8-10 weeks of age.

3. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    chicks were little bit lethargic but after treatment of cocciodiosis medicine for whole day, today they are absolutely fine and running after mama hen.. I am afraid here no medicated starter feed is available. I always use a home-made starter.. For prevention in other chicks, Can I use that medicine as a preventive??

4. QueenMisha

Could you describe your homemade starter? (Ingredients)

Corid is a much higher level than they require... it's therapeutic at 9.6% versus preventative dose which is much lower (I forget the number right now). I suppose you might be able to if you diluted it sufficiently. It's a thiamine blocker and basically only harmful to Coccidia at the typical dosage/regimen, but feed too much for too long and it can block the chickens form absorbing thiamine as well.

5. Madiha Farhan

Jul 26, 2016
    Pakistan
    Ingredients of my home-made starter are
    (all are organic)
    Whole Wheat grains
    Millet
    Boiled then dried Lentils
    Peas
    Seasame seeds
    Shelled sunflower seeds
    (in very small quantity) Corn seeds (as they are very hard for baby chicks to digest)

If I m missing something u may guide..
    Plus
    Parsley after day 4 In small quantity..
    Boiled egg daily with their feed.
    Water with ACV and Minced Garlic
    Milk (as a source of calcium)

Rather than milk, can I feed them powdered egg shells as a source of calcium?? Is it harmful for babies or not?? as no oyester shells available here in my area..

6. QueenMisha

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend home mixing feed for chicks. It can be done, for adults, provided you put in a mass amount of work and research (it takes extremely specific levels of nutrition to feed an animal that produces an egg the size of its head almost every day). Every chick I've ever seen raised on a home mix - regardless of the quality of the ingredients - came out undersized and didn't live very long. Growing chicks need extremely precise nutrition. Better to trust the feed mills and poultry scientists who have put decades and billions of dollars into researching appropriate poultry nutrition.

Powdered egg shells would work for calcium, but again, it's incredibly difficult to calculate the amount to mix. Mix too little, you've got weak and deformed bones. Too much, and you fry their kidneys. We're talking about a 2% difference here between serious health issues and adequate nutrition.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by