Coccidiosis prevention

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbarrett, Jan 5, 2013.

1. jbarrett

jbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Florida
    Is their anything I can give my quail and chickens to prevent them from getting coccidiosis.....I just had a battle with it and just got quail and need to know! Thanks, Justin

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    You don’t really want to prevent it, you want to control it. If they are exposed to coccidiosis without it getting out of hand for two or three weeks, they will develop immunity. They need that immunity since they are going to be faced with coccidiosis protozoa all their life. It lives in the ground. If yours have had it, it’s still in the ground and isn’t going away.

I’m not familiar with quail, just chickens and turkeys, but I’m guessing they are the same. Chickens can develop that immunity better when they are very young than after they get older. One of the first things a broody hen does is take her chicks out to eat where the other chickens have been pooping. She doesn’t know she’s doing it, but that gets the coccidiosis protozoa in their system when they are a good age to develop that immunity.

Having some of the protozoa in their system is not a problem. It’s when the number of protozoa get out of hand that they become sick. One real common way for them to become sick is from a wet brooder. Those protozoa can do well in wet manure. The chicks eat the manure and add the numbers in that stuff to the numbers in their guts and the numbers get out of hand. One good way to help slow down coccidiosis is to keep the brooder fairly dry.

There are different strains of the protozoa that cause coccidiosis and some are stronger than others. A dry brooder will control most of those strains but not necessarily all of them. If you have one of the stronger strains they can still become sick in a dry brooder.

I don’t know if it is safe for quail. It should say so on the bag if it is safe. You can get medicated feed for chickens. What you are looking for is a medicine called amprolium if it is safe for quail. Read the label to make sure the only medicine in there is amprolium. In the dosage in medicated feed the amprolium helps reduce the number of the coccidiosis protozoa in their system. It does not kill all of them. It allows enough to live so the chicks can develop immunity, but it helps keep the numbers from getting out of hand. If you have a stronger strain or if you keep a wet brooder they can still get sick, but the medicated feed really improves your odds of them not being hurt by coccidiosis.

I’m a bit nervous about recommending the Amprolium feed to you for two reasons. One is that I really don’t know that it is safe for quail. You need to check that out. It should be on the bag.

The other is that I am only talking about Amprolium. The medicated part of every major brand of medicated chicken feed that is intended for chicks that will become a laying flock is Amprolium, but some feed that is intended for broilers may contain something else or may contain Amprolium along with something else. Since broilers are not expected to live past 8 weeks, they don’t need immunity to coccidiosis in later life. These medicated feeds are intended to wipe out the protozoa, not allow enough to live for them to develop immunity. I think you are likely to give your quail a higher protein feed more suitable to broilers than chicks that will become layers. You really do need to check the label to assure it only contains Amprolium.

Hope you get something out of this that helps. Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by