Coccidiosis question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MaryZoe, Feb 9, 2019.

1. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    I made a huge mistake and put some chicks into a brooder without sanitizing it enough. I should have known better. I’ve never had an outbreak of coccidia, but I’ve read about it, so I knew exactly what I was facing when I went out three days ago and found 2 dead and 2 dying chicks and bloody poops in the brooder. Good Lord, it kills them quickly! I immediately took the remaining 8-9 chicks out, put them in a new, clean space, and started them on Corid. A couple still looked puffed up, but the others looked okay. Now, three days later, I haven’t lost any more. But 1-2 of them still look a little puffy and still have bloody poops. I clean out their new brooder often to get rid of the waste, but are these droppings contagious to the other chicks who don’t seem affected by the coccidia outbreak?

penny1960 likes this.
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Crossing the Road

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Can you post some photos.
    What dosage of Corid are you using?
    For the ones that are still having bloody poops I would also direct dose them with Corid, in addition to making the mixed Corid solution for their drinking water.

If you have liquid Corid direct dose them with 0.10ml per pound of weight 1time a day for 3days.

If you have the powdered Corid, mix 1/2teaspoon powder with 2teaspoons of water.
    Give them 0.34ml per pound of weight 1time a day for 3days.

Keep your brooder dry and relatively clean. All your chicks have been exposed to the same strain. If the others are better, they are building resistance, but if they were mine I would give them all the direct dose and make sure they are drinking the Corid water very well.

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  3. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    I used the dosage information for liquid Corid listed somewhere here that suggests 2 teaspoons per gallon of water. I mix it up fresh every day. I will try to direct dose them, though they're not very cooperative.

Their new brooder is dry and clean, you can be sure.

While all my chicks were exposed, some had more exposure than others, as I am pretty sure that the highest concentration of coccidia would have been on a perch bar that only my slightly older chicks could reach. That is the only reason I can come up with that the older, larger chicks died most quickly, while the littler, younger chicks lived through the initial onslaught.

Would you like to see photos of the chicks or the poop? Geez. Only on backyardchickens can one ask such a thing and not be a total weirdo!

Thanks for your sympathy. I'm kicking myself for my stupidity.

penny1960 and Wyorp Rock like this.
  4. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    speaking of bloody poop ....i have 3 buff orphingtons that are 4 1/2 weeks old...yesterday i found bloody poop (like strawberry jelly),,this morning i separated all 3 in separate brooders....all had their own space with food and water, from 7am til 2pm...not one bloody poop today...all are very active, eating and drinking normally...should i be concerned???? i keep checking every 30 minutes On them they hated being SEPARATED from each other, so they are all together again after totally sanitizing the brooder and the feeder and waterer

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    penny1960 likes this.
  5. HAPPYCHICKENLADY17

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 Chirping

Jan 31, 2019
    SEBASTIAN, FLORIDA
    "I KNOW I'M JUST A CHICKEN BUT...If you feel sad, i'll be your smile, if you cry, ill be your comfort and if someone breaks your heart, we can use mine to live...I'LL ALWAYS BE BY YOUR SIDE"....YOUR CHICKEN

6. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Well...photos of chicks and poop are always welcome:)
    Are your chicks doing better?

It won't hurt to treat them with Corid is you saw bloody poop in chicks.
    Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon of water.
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.

HAPPYCHICKENLADY17 and MaryZoe like this.
  7. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    @Wyorp Rock , most of the chicks seem to be acting fine. One or two of the larger are still a little puffy at times. But I noticed one of my favorite small ones poop a plop with blood in it just about 1/2 hour ago, when I was individually dosing them. It's acting normal other than that. I so hope I don't lose any more of these fellas. They're from my first several small hatches of Araucana. I'm already attached to them. I'll post a separate pic of my fav from my phone. :)

penny1960 likes this.
  8. MaryZoe

MaryZoe Songster

Jun 26, 2016
    Naples, FL
    C16B46E7-C194-4010-95AC-69812C7615ED.jpeg 9D19569D-C153-4B15-BF18-7DA755DE1B52.jpeg C16B46E7-C194-4010-95AC-69812C7615ED.jpeg 92BC2481-003D-41B5-B646-229AC48D65D6.jpeg And thank you, @Wyorp Rock for your advice! You can kind of see his double tufts (barred, no less!) in some of the shots.

Attached Files:

9. Wyorp Rock

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :love What a cutie pie!!

Just to make sure...they are also drinking the Corid water in addition to you direct dosing, right?
    Sometimes, that part gets missed;)

MaryZoe and penny1960 like this.
  10. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    Sorry for the loss Wyorp has given great advice

Wyorp Rock and MaryZoe like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: