coccidiosis question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by byrnejansen, Jan 19, 2007.

1. byrnejansen

byrnejansen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2007
    so, for my first post... as to my understanding coccidiosis is a normal fauna of a chickens intestinal tract. i've noticed some orange diarrhea as of late. the birds are three months old and out of eighty five chickens we have only noticed a small amount. we were planning on slaughtering them this weekend but now that we have noticed it daily, we are hesitant. any suggestions, we think its coxi and are having a fecal done (expecting results tomorrow). the whole flock seems fine-energetic, eating, drinking, fighting- i assume only a few have diarrhea so, directly, can you eat a bird with coxi?
    thanks -pat

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Well it sounds like you have broilers so yes they can be slaughtered and eating since as you say they are intestinal and unless you have a habit of eating chickens guts then there should be no harm to you. What every you do don't medicate at this late a date.

3. byrnejansen

byrnejansen Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2007
    hey, thanks a lot for the info, that confirms my suspicions about coxi, and we did have a fecal done, clean and clear of it.
    thanks again, i'm new to chickens and quite pleased to find this board.
    -pat

4. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    that "orange" in the droppings... that is often indicative of enteral problems where the mucous membranes are sloughing off I read (the color usually being caused by carrotene) ...

5. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    As long as they are drinking from the same water source you are risking getting more. Unfortunately a huge percentage of viruses with fecal symptoms are severely contageous. This is why all bird keepers should keep Oxine readily available at 7 drops per gallon for reducing the spread of all types of viruses.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by