coccidiosis question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CatWhisperer, Jul 27, 2013.

1. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Chirping

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    I got my 10 chicks from the hatchery Tuesday. They sold me medicated feed and a small container of Amprolium as a mild treatment for coccidiosis. In dogs and cats coccidiosis is an easily transmitted intestinal parasite. The man at the hatchery was telling me it is a bacterial infection the chicks could be hatched with. How do chicks get the disease? I know the hatchery chicks aren't pathogen free but is this disease something I need to be treating for now? I lost 1 chick at 2 days old to something respiratory I think.

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Crowing 5 Years

Jul 24, 2013
    Coccidia are protozoan parasites found almost everywhere in the soil and environment. Chicks are not hatched with Coccidia, but they can soon get it when they are exposed to natural materials and a new environment. If the levels of Coccidia that chicks are exposed to are not high, the bird will build immunity to it and not show any symptoms. In severe infestations, though, chicks become severely ill, with mortality being high if not treated.
    Because of this, most chicks are immediately started on medicated feed, which contains low doses of a coccidostat. This helps prevent an infestation from becoming high enough to seriously harm the chick. Another option, Coccidiosis vaccination, gives chicks a small dose of Coccidia, which also makes the chick build immunity to the parasite. Some people are able to raise chicks without either vaccinating them for Coccidiosis or feeding them medicated feed, but this requires a very clean, sanitary environment, and careful managing.
    So yes, I would feed your chicks a medicated feed. This will help (medicated feed doesn't work 100% of the time) prevent your chicks from being loaded down with a lot of Coccidia.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member 7 Years

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Another approach by some people is to put a big chunk of sod or dirt into the brooder for chicks to become exposed to coccidia oocysts right away to start building immunity. Many people do not feed medicated feed, especially when they have broody-raised chicks immediately on the ground with the mother hen scratching around the dirt and eating a flock raiser type feed that the rest of the flock eats. Here is a dated but still good article on coccidiosis: http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex4616

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Songster

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection (not bacterial)of the intestinal tract. Most birds have some cocci in their sml intestines,only becomes a problem if they have an overload,then we medicate to bring it back under control. Cocci is basically everywhere,chicks do build immunity to cocci,but considering there are 9 strains of cocci,an outbreak/overload can happen at any time. All chicken keepers should be aware of the symptoms of cocci. Coccidiosis is the leading cause of deaths in chicks. Cocci is spread by birds,your own clothing/hands/shoes/feed utensils,bringing new birds into your flock,etc. Once chicks/older chickens have an overload,it is then spread by droppings which get into feed/water via droppings. Some symptoms of Coccidiosis are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,weight loss,not eating/drinking properly. If chicks have any of these symptoms,purchase Corid(amprolium)dose for Corid 20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment. Cocci kills very fast. Chicks on medicated feed,can still have an overload of cocci.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: