Coccidiosis question.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kadu, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Kadu

Kadu Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    2 of my chicks survived coccidiosis thanks to treatment. They are cute bantam pullets now, about 4 months old. They will start laying soon, and I was wondering if their eggs will be safe for human consumption. I LOVE bantam eggs, and would love to keep them alive before my DH decides to cull them. They are doing great now, healthy pullets. No sign of coccidiosis at all.

2. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    This will have absolutely no effect on the eggs. Cocci is a microorganism found in soil, it is everywhere and you cannot avoid it, any chickens, ducks, geese, etc... that are in contact with the ground will have some amount of cocci in their system. All animals in fact will have some. When a chick is young they do not have a fully developed immune system and this allows the cocci to grow out of control and when that happens the chick develops coccidiosis(cocci overload), as the chick grows it will develop a resistance to the cocci because it's immune system has gotten stronger. The cocci is still in your birds, but now they are not made sick by it, the only time an older bird may develop coccidiosis is usually if there is some other disease or infection present that is weakening the immune system. Cocci is "species-specific" which means chickens only get chicken strains of it and dogs only get dog strains, etc.... so chicken cocci will have no effect on and cannot survive in a dog (or human). The presence of this is similar to the presence of bacteria in our systems, as long as things are in balance there is no problem and no sign that it is even there. Hope this helps clear things up.

3. Kadu

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    It sure does! Thank you very much for the response. I'm gonna make a special little coop for the surviving two, so I can keep them away from the rest of the flock. This year's chicks will be vaccinated for coccidiosis and marek's, so I don't have to worry about anything =D
    Again, thank you. You probably saved the lives of two cute little birds =D I can't stop DH when he makes up his mind about something. =P

4. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    We raise Peacocks and as chicks they are even more susceptible to coccidiosis than chickens because their immune systems develop slower. I have treated all of my Peacocks for it using Corid (amprolium) when they were chicks, we will eat the Peacock eggs with no hesitation.

5. Kadu

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    oh good to know! I love peacocks! I already have guineas making so much noise, and I'm not sure if I want to add a peacock to it. lol so I keep putting that off.
    The weird thing is, my tractor supply place don't have Corid. =( Unless its kept in a fridge somewhere in there. Maybe I should ask them next time. Doesn't hurt to have some around... I live far from the store.

6. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    check in the cattle section, that is where i found it. Tractor supply i have only found it in small bags but it is never in the chicken section.

7. Kadu

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    ha! that's a section I never look in! lol thanks for the info [​IMG]

8. DylansMom

DylansMom RIP 1969-2017

Jan 10, 2014
    PA
    Yes check the cattle section, our TSC carries Corid liquid and powder in that section.

9. Kadu

Sep 11, 2014
    Fayetteville, AR
    So I would get the powder right? does it have to say its ok for poultry? or just get it anyway?

10. Tina Marie

Tina Marie New Egg

Oct 10, 2014

These are my chicken symptoms what do u thinks wrong? Same add ur chickens had or not? Excessively drooling,stands with eyes closed, loss of feathers but not all like 20 in 3 days time, loss of appetite,she will drink but,not eat, loss of voice,labored breathing one time only, diarrhea, loss of balance.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by